Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerialfilmmakerr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2019
Hey there... I’ve got a quick question...

I’ve got a Late 2013 15in Macbook Pro that I am looking to run dual displays off of in the closed-lid “desktop” configuration. I’m wondering if purchasing 2 mini displayport/displayport cables will work to connect these 2 displays. I won’t be using the built in HDMI jack, just the 2 TB2/Mini DP Connectors on the left side of the machine.

I read somewhere that you might need an active converter or something like that but I wanted to come here first to set things straight.

For reference, the displays I will be using are 2 Samsung U28E510D 28” 4K panels. I have been running one of them just fine on a mini DP to DP cable, but I just wanted to make sure I’m in the clear before upgrading to a second display.

If you are at all confused... I am basically wondering if I can hook up one monitor to each of the thunderbolt 2 ports on my macbook without problems.

Please ask questions as needed... thanks in advance for the help!

aerialfilmmakerr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2019
If you are wondering why I am not using the HDMI port... Here is an image of a metal bracket I designed in CAD to mount underneath my desk... as you can see the back mount for the bracket covers the HDMI port, and even without it, plugging in cables on that side would be a hassle anyway. the connections on the left side of the machine includes power, 2 mini DP displays, and a USB hub.

I could really use some insight on this... please reply below!

Attachments

• CC028466-8B1B-4F0C-AD61-5ECAC93C470A.jpeg
    CC028466-8B1B-4F0C-AD61-5ECAC93C470A.jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 115
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.