Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bboyce2009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
Texas
I just cleared my early-2013 MacBook Pro to prepare to sell, and on the “About this Mac” overview, the NVIDIA GeForce 650M is no longer listed under the Graphics section. The Intel HD Graphics 4000 is, but not the NVIDIA. After the restore, it is gone. The MBP was on Mojave at the time both before and after (10.14.6) but it is no longer showing.

I read something about drivers that were an issue, but didn’t now if that ever got resolved. Wasn’t sure if someone else had experience with this, especially since it disappeared while using the same software. Help :’)

AnDrEw17876

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2021
Thessaloniki, Greece
Try going into System Preferences, then "Energy Saver" and on the top there should be a toggle that says "Automatic Graphics Switching" if you uncheck that, the 650M graphics should appear! (Keep in mind this will drain the battery faster however)

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
As mentioned, the dedicated GPU (650M) only shows in “About This Mac” when it is active. Turning off automatic graphics switching will work, or you can open an app that will trigger the dGPU (like Lightroom or Final Cut or something). When the NVIDIA GPU is active, it’ll show up.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Yes, it only shows there if it is active.
If you click on the "System Report" on the About screen, you can select "Graphics/Displays" and it should appear there.

Reactions: Patcell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.