Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMac-w-fries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
LA
Hey all,

I know that it is difficult to upgrade the RAM on a late 2014 mac mini, but I bought a used (late 2014) mac mini for cheap to experiment on.

There are some videos I've seen about how to upgrade it -- I understand how difficult it is, but I want to try. However, I have no idea where to buy the RAM i need to attempt the upgrade?

How can I go about finding it online?

Thanks!

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hey all,

I know that it is difficult to upgrade the RAM on a late 2014 mac mini, but I bought a used (late 2014) mac mini for cheap to experiment on.
The RAM in a 2014 Mac Mini is soldered on. There is no way to upgrade RAM short of finding someone who can do board-level repair and solder new RAM chips on.

BigMac-w-fries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
LA
The RAM in a 2014 Mac Mini is soldered on. There is no way to upgrade RAM short of finding someone who can do board-level repair and solder new RAM chips on.
It is possible. It's just extremely impractical. I want to try to do it.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
What experience do you already have with board-level repairs?
Do you have access to a soldering station? (a typical soldering pencil won't be useful, as you might know)

BigMac-w-fries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
LA
What experience do you already have with board-level repairs?
Do you have access to a soldering station? (a typical soldering pencil won't be useful, as you might know)
I have a bit of experience. My best friend's brother is a hardware dude. He has a shop and access to all of the heating tools I'll need -- he even said he'll help me.

I appreciate the concern, but I wish someone would just answer my question

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Another thread here - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-late-2014-ram-upgrade.2338205/
There's some identification info for the RAM, and a chinese site that the poster (apparently) used to order some replacement ram chips.
SK Hynix made the RAM chips, so I tried searching for SK Hynix LPDDR3 16GB 1600MHz BGA 178 -- and didn't find much, but maybe re-ordering the terms for searching would make a difference.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Another thread here - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-mini-late-2014-ram-upgrade.2338205/
There's some identification info for the RAM, and a chinese site that the poster (apparently) used to order some replacement ram chips.
SK Hynix made the RAM chips, so I tried searching for SK Hynix LPDDR3 16GB 1600MHz BGA 178 -- and didn't find much, but maybe re-ordering the terms for searching would make a difference.

Because the seller didn't list their item that way.

Below are just some example about how the seller list their RAM chips, not exactly the chips for Mac mini 2014.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That, uh, makes just searching for those chips a challenge. OK, the whole RAM mod upgrade is a (small) challenge from the beginning.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
The chips you need for this upgrade (to achieve 16GB of RAM) are 32Gbit LPDDR3 chips. The ones I use normally are Elpida EDFB232A1MA-GD-F (rated for 1600 MHz). You'll need 4 for the upgrade, of course, and once soldered on properly, just set the SPD strap configuration resistors on the board accordingly (any 16GB setting will do; manufacturer info does not matter). The chips can be found on AliExpress just by searching the part number. I also recently made a video performing this upgrade on one of my machines, so you can watch that to see the exact process:

gagarin

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Kyiv, Ukraine
The chips you need for this upgrade (to achieve 16GB of RAM) are 32Gbit LPDDR3 chips. The ones I use normally are Elpida EDFB232A1MA-GD-F (rated for 1600 MHz). You'll need 4 for the upgrade, of course, and once soldered on properly, just set the SPD strap configuration resistors on the board accordingly (any 16GB setting will do; manufacturer info does not matter). The chips can be found on AliExpress just by searching the part number. I also recently made a video performing this upgrade on one of my machines, so you can watch that to see the exact process:

Dosdude1 thank you for sharing the info. Are those chips the same for 2013-2015 Airs?

BigMac-w-fries

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2022
LA

Holy crap! You're the guy whose video I saw that made me want to try this?! I feel like a celebrity just answered my question hah. I am so pissed that I never saw your message until now. Thanks so much for the info. I'm going to try this asap and let y'all know how it goes

Reactions: dosdude1 and EugW

joshuax500

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2022

My recent research suggests, "certain" Mac mini 2014, Part no A1347, have logic boards, with 2x DIMM Sockets, taking SODIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 204pin DDR3-1600 1.5V

This is from my Mac mini Late 2014, i5 1.4ghz, 8gb

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 10.46.13.png

Info on memorial model

Screenshot 2022-09-21 at 10.50.19.png

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
A1347 Logic board on Aliexpress...
Even suggests CPU & GFX Chip upgradable
Those are just standard CPU options that were available from Apple. Presumably one could solder on a new CPU, same as Apple did with those boards.
The picture is of one of the 2011-2012 boards, not a 2014.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
My recent research suggests, "certain" Mac mini 2014, Part no A1347, have logic boards, with 2x DIMM Sockets, taking SODIMM DDR3 PC3-12800 204pin DDR3-1600 1.5V
In spite of how the RAM is reported in System Report, there are no DIMM slots in any 2014 Mac mini.

Canary813

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024

Hey Dosdude1, first I’d like to send my praises on your skills. Was wondering if your talents are for hire? Have a late 2014 Mac mini from eBay, all was working fine but after a factory reset and issues reinstalling OS I was told by Genius Bar the memory is bad and would cost $350+ for repairs. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: zvaniel4o

zvaniel4o

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2019
Hey Dosdude1, first I’d like to send my praises on your skills. Was wondering if your talents are for hire? Have a late 2014 Mac mini from eBay, all was working fine but after a factory reset and issues reinstalling OS I was told by Genius Bar the memory is bad and would cost $350+ for repairs. Thanks in advance.
I would like to know this too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.