Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khaleal

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2013
While the CPU is pretty much identical, they use different GPUs (in case you buy the model with dedicated graphics). Also, the 2015 one comes with bigger battery and force touch trackpad which is totally worth it

Webster's Mac

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2016
Get the 2015. Better touchpad, GPU, and the displays are most likely still covered under the stain gate repair program AND there’s a chance you can get a free battery replacement (if the serial is within the range affected) due to the battery recall

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
From 2014 to 2015 The processor was upgraded and more efficient for better battery life, the GPU was faster, and I believe that was the first version they introduced with the force touch trackpad.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I am wary of any retina MacBook Pro with an aftermarket SSD upgrade. There is long thread here that goes through the issues, but the bottom line is there have been various issues with adapters and 3rd party drives, and sometimes loss of performance when compared to the original Apple OEMed SSDs.

I also am concerned that Apple might use this upgrade to refuse to service the machine on other extended warranty such as screen de-lamination.

dukeblue219

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2012
I also am concerned that Apple might use this upgrade to refuse to service the machine on other extended warranty such as screen de-lamination.

I'm pretty sure that this is illegal in the US. Can't invalidate the warranty on the screen just because the SSD has been replaced unless you can specifically tie it to the failure. If you read through their warranty policy they talk about this in several places; for example they may refuse to fix "an original product that is inoperable due to unauthorized modifications."

A common screen defect should be clearly unrelated to a straightforward SSD upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.