Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
My partner's father's 2015 13" Retina MacBook Pro has a swollen battery.

I'm either going to replace the battery for them or they are going to buy a new Mac.

If they opt for the latter, my partner and I will be given the computer, in which case I will still replace the battery, and my partner will use the computer as a replacement for her 2011 MacBook Pro.

BUT - the battery is swelling so much that the case is pretty well deformed. You can tell at a glance that there is a radius to the top and the bottom of the machine doesn't sit flush on a flat surface. The screen doesn't close all the way.

I'm wondering if any of you have replaced the battery in a machine with the case in a similar state and seen the case return to it's original position, or if it's likely permanently bent from now on. I feel it would be a shame if it's unsalvageable but can understand if it's too far gone.

Thanks in advance!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I replaced the battery in the same (I believe) model MBP, using this:

Not too difficult, if you are careful. Wear eye protection. Watch some youtube videos and ifixit guides. (Personal tip: dental floss helps cut through the battery adhesive.) For me, all swelling deformation returned to normal, and it worked fine for 2 years until I traded it in.

Do not delay doing this. Eventually the swelling will damage the trackpad, then it is useless.

Another option is Apple battery replacement for $200, if they will still do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: WiscoNicky

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

First,
if they are considering a new MacBook Pro, the time is now (for savings).
See:

Next, regarding battery replacement:

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
(NOT a "3rd-party provider", but a REAL "Apple" store)

If so, take it to them (make appt for genius bar).
They -might- offer a free replacement, which should cover any case deformities, as well.

Even if they don't, you can probably get the $199 battery replacement, which is a good deal. Probably better than trying to do the work yourself.

slythfox

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2017
My 2015 13" also had a swelling battery that created a bulge that prevented it from sitting flat on a surface. Mine was only bulging from the bottom, not impacting the top. Battery was under 80% maximum capacity and macOS said it needed to be serviced.

I found a new OEM -- not 3rd party -- battery and did the repair for ~$50 USD + tools using the ifixit guide. The bending of the metal subsided and it's like new again, night and day!

Removing the battery is not easy -- time consuming. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a tinkerer willing to take on any risk. You can pay a professional ~$200 for the repair but that may not be worth it given these sell for $300 on ebay.

Ultimately I bought a new macbook pro. The 2015 is showing its age in other ways with the last couple macOS versions. As a developer maybe that's more important than for someone who is web browsing. Use something before Catalina at least.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Ultimately I bought a new macbook pro. The 2015 is showing its age in other ways with the last couple macOS versions. As a developer maybe that's more important than for someone who is web browsing. Use something before Catalina at least.
This is why I eventually traded in my 2015 13" base MBP, even though the battery replacement worked well. It just became sluggish and annoying on the latest MacOS, even for browsing. Otherwise it was a great machine, last of the era of "good" MBPs before the disastrous butterfly keyboards and hot Intel CPUs.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The $200 Apple battery replacement for the 2015 MacBook Pro is not just a battery replacement.
Besides the battery, it also includes a new top case, keyboard, and trackpad.

Plus, Apple's batteries are the only ones that are consistently good.

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
The $200 Apple battery replacement for the 2015 MacBook Pro is not just a battery replacement.
Besides the battery, it also includes a new top case, keyboard, and trackpad.
This is true, which is what makes it a good deal for some.
There is one catch: if the trackpad or keyboard is already damaged from battery swelling, then they will charge you (a lot) for replacement of the keyboard and trackpad, even though the keyboard and trackpad are included in the battery replacement. This repair then basically costs more than the MBP is worth. At least, that has been the experience of some people in this forum.

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This is true, which is what makes it a good deal for some.
There is one catch: if the trackpad or keyboard is already damaged from battery swelling, then they will charge you (a lot) for replacement of the keyboard and trackpad, even though the keyboard and trackpad are included in the battery replacement. This repair then basically costs more than the MBP is worth. At least, that has been the experience of some people in this forum.
Sure, but it can't hurt to ask. If Apple says OK and the OP is fine with the $200 spend, then all is good. If Apple says no it's going to cost extra, then the OP may consider going with a third party battery and a DIY fix or with a 3rd party repair shop... or else a new machine.

The 2015 MBP is also getting pretty close to obsolete status by Apple (more than 7 years since sold by Apple), whereupon Apple will refuse to repair it. However they will replace batteries up to 10 years.
The 2015 MacBook Pro is officially supported by Monterey. That means it will get security updates and Safari updates until 2024. With a machine like this, for casual use I'd have no problem using it until at least 2025 or so. That's why I was comfortable buying a used 2015 MacBook Pro last year for my young kid.

BTW, the one I bought had had a recent Apple OEM battery replacement (as evidenced by the fact that the top case and keyboard looked brand new, the battery had <30 cycles, and when I opened it to install a bigger OEM SSD there was absolutely no dust inside and the battery was from a legit Apple supplier). However, while the battery is relatively new and the battery life is fine, it's nothing compared to what people report for M1 MacBook Airs.

So, I guess the other aspect of this is how important battery life truly is, and how important is CPU performance. A new battery will bring back OK battery life, but not great battery life by Apple Silicon standards, and it won't make it as fast as a 2020 Apple Silicon machine. But for $200, that might just be OK.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
You can remove the battery, of course, but MacBooks throttle-down the CPU when there is no battery detected, making them VERY slow in comparison to normal.
right. but this is just to check if the mb is without deformation before investing in a new battery. otherwise it would be toast anyway...

WiscoNicky

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2006
Wisco
I appreciate y'all.

They ended up ordering a new MacBook Pro 14, so I'm gong to try my hand at replacing this battery. I advised them to discharge the battery fully and store the computer in the garage or somewhere a little safer, just in case it decides to start on fire. We made a time machine backup last night to transfer the data to the new machine.

I know what I'm getting with the 2015 MBP - it will be a nice upgrade from my girlfriend's 2011 MBP and will tide her over for a couple-few more years until jumping to apple silicon.

If it seems like the trackpad is ok, I'm going to purchase a battery replacement kit and will carefully remove and replace the old one. I've got a metal ash can in which I can store the battery until I'm able to responsibly dispose of it.

Reactions: wilberforce

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
The battery is glued in, but people say strong fishing line works to cut through the glue. However, make sure you watch the YouTube videos so you know where the cables are so you don't damage them.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
OP:

First,
if they are considering a new MacBook Pro, the time is now (for savings).
See:

Next, regarding battery replacement:

Do you have a brick-n-mortar Apple Store anywhere close?
(NOT a "3rd-party provider", but a REAL "Apple" store)

If so, take it to them (make appt for genius bar).
They -might- offer a free replacement, which should cover any case deformities, as well.

Even if they don't, you can probably get the $199 battery replacement, which is a good deal. Probably better than trying to do the work yourself.
Not sure if he will get service. That macbook has the status vintage. If by chance they have a battery left then they might offer to replace it for a fee......if not then he will be out of luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.