Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNiko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
Ten models:
1. iPhone
2. iPhone 3G
3. iPhone 3GS
4. iPhone 4
5. iPhone 4S
6. iPhone 5
7. iPhone 5C
8. iPhone 5S
9. iPhone 6
-> iPhone X

What do you think?

Maybe they will also include 4-inch iPhone in lineup, so that it could be called: iPhone XS. Lol.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I think they should just leave it at iPhone. Perhaps if you were ordering from ATT or Verizon they could differentiate between the models like iPhone (2013), iPhone (2014) or something similar.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I still believe we'll see Apple move to releasing multiple iPhones annually with no generational numbering in the name. Older iPhones will not continue to be sold in retail stores and the need to differentiate between the 2014 iPhone and 2015 iPhone won't be a big concern.

I think we'll see something like iPhone mini (4"), iPhone (4.7"), iPhone Air (5.5").

Updated annually.

SestoElemento

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
I doubt that. I would think something like Iphone Air would come first before an Iphone X.

Agree on that!

this. They would confuse their customers by going from 6 to 10. The "Air" naming seems to be their trend. mac air, ipad air, iphone air maybe

This might be a route they consider or even take naming the 4.7" Version the Air and the 5.5" Version the Pro which would cause less confusion and make more sense, Rather than calling it the iphone 6 4.7" and the iphone 6 5.5".

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
this. They would confuse their customers by going from 6 to 10. The "Air" naming seems to be their trend. mac air, ipad air, iphone air maybe

I find that unlikely personally because those products are smaller and lighter. The next iPhone will likely be bigger and the same weight or heavier negating "Air" status. Just my opinion though.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I still believe we'll see Apple move to releasing multiple iPhones annually with no generational numbering in the name. Older iPhones will not continue to be sold in retail stores and the need to differentiate between the 2014 iPhone and 2015 iPhone won't be a big concern.

I think we'll see something like iPhone mini (4"), iPhone (4.7"), iPhone Air (5.5").

Updated annually.
There is a need to distinguish between annual models in a highly competitive market. As long as the public perceives that a lot can change from year-to-year, as long as there's a "Can you top this..." feature war, you don't blur the distinction between your models, you need to shout, "latest and greatest."

If you're thinking that the way Apple has been identifying Mac models is a trend they'll extend to iPhone? It's not. The PC market is simply at a different stage, where change is more gradual and brand name and specific characteristics alone are enough to carry the sale.

PCs are now closer to the laundry detergent side of the marketing world - there may be a "new and improved formula" every so often, but that distinction only stays on the label for a short while, then it's back to plain old, "Brand X." Only specific features become distinguishing characteristics, "Fresh Scent Brand X," "Brand X Extra Concentrated...." and so on ("Air," ""Retina," "Mini").

Will iPhone reach this stage eventually? Likely, but probably not until consumer electronics has moved onto the Next Big Thing, and market share in smart phones has stabilized.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
There is a need to distinguish between annual models in a highly competitive market. As long as the public perceives that a lot can change from year-to-year, as long as there's a "Can you top this..." feature war, you don't blur the distinction between your models, you need to shout, "latest and greatest."

If you're thinking that the way Apple has been identifying Mac models is a trend they'll extend to iPhone? It's not. The PC market is simply at a different stage, where change is more gradual and brand name and specific characteristics alone are enough to carry the sale.

PCs are now closer to the laundry detergent side of the marketing world - there may be a "new and improved formula" every so often, but that distinction only stays on the label for a short while, then it's back to plain old, "Brand X." Only specific features become distinguishing characteristics, "Fresh Scent Brand X," "Brand X Extra Concentrated...." and so on ("Air," ""Retina," "Mini").

Will iPhone reach this stage eventually? Likely, but probably not until consumer electronics has moved onto the Next Big Thing, and market share in smart phones has stabilized.

Right - and I think we see that pretty soon. My post was not a prediction of THIS YEAR. Though I think we're close to seeing the maturation and saturation of the smartphone market.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA

I agree. Samsung is still using S4, S5, etc.

Using iPhone X would be confusing with Moto X, Droid X, etc. Other than OS X, the letter X seems to be a very Motorola thing. The aforementioned as well as the Xoom tablet.

I expect that Apple will continue to use #, #s, and #c for a little while yet unless they completely change things as others have said. Or they should come up another name for the larger size like "iPhab" or use the "mini" name already in place with the iPad line. Or they could keep it simple and just go straight to 6s and 6c this year rather than 6 and something else.

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
Ya know, I use my iPhone all day every day and could give a rats ass what it's called. Never understood these threads obsessing over the name....

Lion007s

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Australia
Quite likely the OP won't even see this given that the user hasn't been around in over 3 years.

That makes sense, I didn’t even check to see when they were last active! Got re-directed from that other thread which said the OP was right 2 years ago lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.