Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

jbuckner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
If you look at my previous thread, you’ll see I found a sealed late 2015 13” rMPB in a pawn shop, went to pick it up yesterday and they had another sealed late 2016 space grey 13” rMBP non-touchbar.....so I bought that one also. Luckily, I have the receipts from the Apple Store from the guy who pawned them, so I know they aren’t stolen. I got both of them for a song, so in theory I can keep both, but there’s no need.

Now I have two similar 13” rMBP’s and I need help as to which one to keep. I’m not a power user at all, no photoshop, or video editing. I was looking for a MacBook for school when I stumbled upon these. I start law school in January and I keep everything in iCloud so the USB C dongle isn’t an issue. iCloud is synced to my 2015 iMac at home.

I plan on selling one and keeping the other. What does the hive mind say?

Specs for both:
2015 retina 13” 2.7/8gb/256ssd
2016 retina 13” 2.0/8gb/256ssd non-touchbar space grey

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
I would keep the 2016 retina MBP. It has the newer CPU-generation and will probably receive updates for macOS a bit longer. In my opinion the 2.0 GHz is for studying fast enough. Writing notes, surfing the web or writing a presentation on Keynote will not much rev up the CPU or cooling fan. And I think the SSD speed is on both really fast.
I think higher CPU clock speed is useful if you edit and render movies, work with RAW format photos from DSLR's and so on.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jbuckner

jbuckner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
I would keep the 2016 retina MBP. It has the newer CPU-generation and will probably receive updates for macOS a bit longer. In my opinion the 2.0 GHz is for studying fast enough. Wirting notes, surfing the web or writing a presentation on Keynote will not much rev up the CPU or cooling fan. And I think the SSD speed is on both really fast.
I think higher CPU clock speed is useful if you edit and render movies, work with RAW format photos from DSLR's and so on.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks!

I’ve read a bunch of threads about rMBP models vs the other especially once the ports changed. The biggest complaints that I’ve read about is the newer USB C port and keyboard. For me, the USB C port restriction isn’t a big deal since all of my content creation will be in the cloud. Both of the rMBP’s are still sealed so I went to Best Buy and tried out the newer keyboard and honestly I really like it.

Reactions: fluamsler

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Thanks!

I’ve read a bunch of threads about rMBP models vs the other especially once the ports changed. The biggest complaints that I’ve read about is the newer USB C port and keyboard. For me, the USB C port restriction isn’t a big deal since all of my content creation will be in the cloud. Both of the rMBP’s are still sealed so I went to Best Buy and tried out the newer keyboard and honestly I really like it.

If you like the new keyboard that's another "+" pro for the 2016 MBP. Because if you would hate the butterfly mechanism I think that's a point to go for the 2015 MBP with the old keys. Working in the cloud will both MacBooks do fine in my opinion (as long as the internet connection is halfway reliable).

One "cons" of the 2016 MBP is in my opinion the missing MagSafe. But if you use it often without the plugged in charging cable at school this isn't a big deal because the battery usually lasts for one day of usage. Another "pro" of the 2016 MBP is the ability to charge your MacBook with a portable battery pack (as long as the battery pack stores enough mAh of juice).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
For me, the USB C port restriction isn’t a big deal since all of my content creation will be in the cloud. Both of the rMBP’s are still sealed so I went to Best Buy and tried out the newer keyboard and honestly I really like it.
Well there you go. The keyboard and the port situation are the two biggest knocks against the 2016. If neither of those bothers you then there's basically no advantage to the 2015. Keep the 2016.

(p.s. good luck in law school!)

jbuckner

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2007
Tulsa
Well there you go. The keyboard and the port situation are the two biggest knocks against the 2016. If neither of those bothers you then there's basically no advantage to the 2015. Keep the 2016.

(p.s. good luck in law school!)

I agree. I have a older 2008 MBP that I keep around just for the old keyboard; It’s a joy to type on. Unfortunately, I have a old school mechanical keyboard that I have to use at Work (state agency) for my windows tablet. They newer keyboard on the 16’ rMBP felt great at Best Buy, I’ll have to open it up tomorrow and get it set up.

PS: thanks for the kind words about law school!

Reactions: fluamsler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.