Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
Does anyone have any experience with the new macbook pro 15" and multiple 4K cameras in fcpx? I know the better option would be to get an iMac or build a Windows workstation, however I don't want to go back to Windows. I also need a new laptop and a semi maxed out pro is cheaper than a iMac and the 12" macbook.

So I'm looking for support with multiple 4K video streams from proper cameras and best for money

Thanks

djnigelchung

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2015
Silicon Valley
2016 15" MBP TB with the 460.. recently transitioned from 1080p60 to 4k30 footage.. FCP runs amazing. Yes there is rendering and optimization, however FCP optimizes everything for best experience. For example, I was stabilizing my footage in the background, while scrubbing through my timeline. The stabilization tasks paused when I was scrubbing, and picked back up once I stopped. Small things like that didn't effect my experience with the tasks I was doing at all.

So in a nutshell, In my opinion: FCPX handles 4k footage like a breeze and you won't have any issues.

Reactions: Rasta4i

Rasta4i

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
London
2016 15" MBP TB with the 460.. recently transitioned from 1080p60 to 4k30 footage.. FCP runs amazing. Yes there is rendering and optimization, however FCP optimizes everything for best experience. For example, I was stabilizing my footage in the background, while scrubbing through my timeline. The stabilization tasks paused when I was scrubbing, and picked back up once I stopped. Small things like that didn't effect my experience with the tasks I was doing at all.

So in a nutshell, In my opinion: FCPX handles 4k footage like a breeze and you won't have any issues.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.