Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2024
Hi! This is my first post, because previously my questions had already been answered.

Score is this: I ruined the original keyboard (actually a warranty replacement), and continuing to use it was giving me carpal tunnel.

I was quoted ~$850 for repairs from Apple (I paid $1200 for this used originally). So I ordered a $300 bottom case from iFixit, and put i enough labour to make Apple's quote feel like a deal. Nonetheless, I got it done. It works.

Problem is that I've been forced to relegate usage of this laptop to my desk. I can get it started by clearing the NVRAM and resetting the SMC, and that works. Problem is that when I close the lid, it disables the screen, and when I open it the screen stays off. I can use it with an external, and the keyboard/touchpad work fine, but it's very far from mobile, and not a satisfactory solution.

What I'm wondering is if there's anyone out there who has experience with this repair, and who has figured out some sort of "trick" to getting the screen properly aligned.

From what I can tell, this model uses Hall-Effect sensors on the motherboard, which are activated by magnets on the screen itself. I can find the locations of these using paperclips, however the 2016 model seems to have a more involved setup than the 2015, and I've not been able to trigger the sensors using magnets on the bottom case.

The guide that I read described there being a "clicking" sound when the screen isn't properly aligned to the body. I don't get that, however I didn't take pictures before disassembly, and I'm uncertain as to if it's precisely as it was. I did my best to align the screen to the body exactly, before tightening the screws, and it looks/feels basically perfect... Except for being quite **** at mobility.

So, what I'm looking for is either someone who has done this repair themselves, and gotten things to line up, or possibly even reference pictures for alignment from someone who isn't experiencing this problem... Or any suggestions, really.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.