Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Hello Everyone,

As I am sure many of you are aware some people have experienced a few issues with the Keyboard on the new Macbook Pro's.

After 4.5 Months of owner ship I too have come to experience the same issues. My "b" key has begun to either not work, or place an extra letter occasionally, which is incredibly frustrating as I am sure you can imagine.

My Macbook is going in to the Apple Store on Tuesday at 12:00pm, so my question is how long should I expect to be without my computer? I was quoted anywhere from 3-10 days while on the phone with Apple Support.

Thank you very much,

Happypeople

Edit: Western Canada & BTO Model (Base 15" with 512GB SSD)

happypeople

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
I would say it varies region to region. and in some cases if it is a BTO or not.

Thank you! I added an edit to my main post regarding both region and model.

I have the 15" Base model with the 512GB SSD Upgrade

BlinkerFluider

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2017
Since the keyboard assembly with battery is very likely having nothing to do with the BTO MLB, if you have a regular English keyboard or French keyboard I believe people use in Canada, it have a chance that is in stock and can be swap on the same day. if its not in stock because you have a BTO keyboard layout, or its just simply not in stock, you might be able to let them order the part regarding to your case and let you keep the computer during the time waiting for it to arrive.
[doublepost=1491191354][/doublepost]at the mean time, try ask someone else to hold your computer upside-down, and then use a pen, finger, or something else to give the key a/multiple slap in the face xdxd (not chuck it in brutally, just bump it with the side of the object harder). and see if that back to normal condition.

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
Western Canada here too, I find the Apple store in both Chinook Mall Calgary and West Edmonton .... about 7-14 days on average I find. it has been as much as 9 weeks if they cant get their hands on parts.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
I had a similar problem on one of the first MacBooks with this type keyboard. Some compressed air around the key pushed out some debris and the key started functioning fine. It does not take much to make a key act flaky.

FWIW

Natator64

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Since the keyboard assembly with battery is very likely having nothing to do with the BTO MLB, if you have a regular English keyboard or French keyboard I believe people use in Canada, it have a chance that is in stock and can be swap on the same day. if its not in stock because you have a BTO keyboard layout, or its just simply not in stock, you might be able to let them order the part regarding to your case and let you keep the computer during the time waiting for it to arrive.
[doublepost=1491191354][/doublepost]at the mean time, try ask someone else to hold your computer upside-down, and then use a pen, finger, or something else to give the key a/multiple slap in the face xdxd (not chuck it in brutally, just bump it with the side of the object harder). and see if that back to normal condition.

Sadly not the case at all. To replace the keyboard they need to replace the logic board, which includes the SDD, CPU etc etc etc. Just had mine done, it cost (had it not been covered by warranty) AUS$1,700 to fix .... for a single non functioning key, and took them two weeks to do, during which they had to keep the laptop as they, in Australia at least, refuse to order parts and bring your machine back when they are ready to fix it.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Sadly not the case at all. To replace the keyboard they need to replace the logic board, which includes the SDD, CPU etc etc etc. Just had mine done, it cost (had it not been covered by warranty) AUS$1,700 to fix .... for a single non functioning key, and took them two weeks to do, during which they had to keep the laptop as they, in Australia at least, refuse to order parts and bring your machine back when they are ready to fix it.

I can assure you, this is not normal. The keyboard is part of the topcase, which includes the battery, speakers (I think) and trackpad. The only reason I could see needing to replace the MLB at the same time is if the tech was not careful and damaged a connector on the MLB during the repair.

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
I can assure you, this is not normal. The keyboard is part of the topcase, which includes the battery, speakers (I think) and trackpad. The only reason I could see needing to replace the MLB at the same time is if the tech was not careful and damaged a connector on the MLB during the repair.

+1. Keyboard, battery, trackpad are one unit known as the topcase. Logic board is separate - but connected to the topcase (in the 2016, connected to the Power/TouchID key). I brought mine in for a topcase replacement, ended up needing logic board (messed up the power connector during repair) and eventually needed to get it completely replaced.

Natator64

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2017
Maybe you've not got the touch bar version. Apple have been replacing entire machines if they have keyboard issues, due to the complexity of the repair on the touch bar versions. Check other threads/sites, it's happening to heaps of people.

With mine, and many others have reported exactly the same, both the people on the online chat and then the guys at the Genius Bar told me in advance of the repair that if the keyboard needed to be replaced it can only be done by replacing the logic board. Even the guy at the Genius Bar thought it was insane.

It seems to be an insane bit of "engineering".

Reactions: Kcetech1

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Sorry, unless I'm looking in the wrong place I'm not seeing anything in Apple's service documentation that replacing the MLB is a standard part of the repair.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
I have a lot of issues with my keyboard, multiple broken keys, as well as a few sticky keys and my "b" key is now starting to duplicate.. i dont want to have to send it in, but i think i will have to. 2.6K for a machine and the keyboard does not even last ~6 months

Kcetech1

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2016
Alberta Canada
With mine, and many others have reported exactly the same, both the people on the online chat and then the guys at the Genius Bar told me in advance of the repair that if the keyboard needed to be replaced it can only be done by replacing the logic board. Even the guy at the Genius Bar thought it was insane.

It seems to be an insane bit of "engineering".

Same here, top case assembly and logic board replacement for a dead space bar. got it back on Monday after 10 days.

Sorry, unless I'm looking in the wrong place I'm not seeing anything in Apple's service documentation that replacing the MLB is a standard part of the repair.

I don't think it shows it in the service documentation, but the tech at the Apple Store in Calgary Alberta I talked to said in 90% of cases he has seen one of the cable connectors to the touch bar breaks and you have to swap the motherboard as well. and NO they will not retrieve data off the existing SSD if you don't back it up as the lady beside me had happen. as Natator64 said, there are many threads including Apples own support forums saying a topcase change is not easy at all. and that warranty fixes tend to replace the logic board or replace the whole machine.

wiffle

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
Brought in today for high-pitched key click issue. Plan is to replace keyboard, and yes - it's topcase only and not the logic board, confirmed. Nevertheless what @Kcetech1 alluded to is correct: a connecting cable between the logic and touchbar often snaps during repair leading to requiring entire logic board swaps. My 2 day eta topcase replacement turned into topcase + logic and 8 days on my previous 2016 before I got my replacement. I really can't afford another 8 days without a unit to work with..

kristof46

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2015
Do you have some documents from Apple that you have replacement unit? I asked because Apple in Poland has never heard about this issue. I took Macbook to authorized service but I am worried that they will say it is normal and polish Apple won't add anything else cause they don't know this case. This type of document could be very very helpful for me.

scottylans

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
Anyone replaced one of these in Australia with Apple? Got a Mac book which got a tiny bit of water on it, we thought it was fine but overnight the keyboard has died. Rest seems totally fine though.

I see conflicting reports on the price of replacement, from 800us to 1700us ? Wtf....

That's before the top off the Aussie tax too...?

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
+1. Keyboard, battery, trackpad are one unit known as the topcase. Logic board is separate - but connected to the topcase (in the 2016, connected to the Power/TouchID key). I brought mine in for a topcase replacement, ended up needing logic board (messed up the power connector during repair) and eventually needed to get it completely replaced.
I don't think Track Pad is part of Top Case. Just had my Top Case replaced and they said didn't include Trackbar. No logic board done on mine.
[doublepost=1502023412][/doublepost]
Do you have some documents from Apple that you have replacement unit? I asked because Apple in Poland has never heard about this issue. I took Macbook to authorized service but I am worried that they will say it is normal and polish Apple won't add anything else cause they don't know this case. This type of document could be very very helpful for me.
Ask them to run diagnostics on keyboard. They can test by each key. My keys near center failed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.