Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
Got a macbook pro 2016 model 13,3 - 16gb ram 1TB.
Currently running high sierra but to run some apps that I need I have to upgrade the OS.

I'm usually against upgrading OS on my Macs and iPhones because they usually bog the devices down.

Should I upgrade the Macbook or will it bog down?

Reactions: rm5

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Which version are you planning to upgrade to? I'm running 10.14 on mine and it seems to perform well enough (10.15 and later are too buggy for my tastes, plus I want 32-bit support).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Which version are you planning to upgrade to? I'm running 10.14 on mine and it seems to perform well enough (10.15 and later are too buggy for my tastes, plus I want 32-bit support).
I agree. I’m running El Capitan on my 2015 MacBook Pro, but it’s a common sentiment here from those who have updated that Mojave is the limit as far as good performance goes.

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
Looks like the app’s minimum req is 10.14 that’s Mojave correct?

Could you please tell me how to upgrade it to that?

I also prefer not to upgrade to the newest OS.

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
Oh btw even on my high sierra I get spinning rainbow cursor on chrome and Firefox with 40 tabs open total and I had to restart the MacBook more often now.

Should I bother upgrading to 32gb ram for that?

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Oh btw even on my high sierra I get spinning rainbow cursor on chrome and Firefox with 40 tabs open total and I had to restart the MacBook more often now.

Well, 40 tabs on 16 GB of RAM on an Intel Mac... that'll slow it down! Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the RAM in MacBooks post-2012.

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Hmmm, that's strange. Are you connected to the internet as you're trying to install it? Maybe plug into Ethernet if you have an adapter...

Saijin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
Hmmm, that's strange. Are you connected to the internet as you're trying to install it? Maybe plug into Ethernet if you have an adapter...
Yes, wifi is strong. No adapter to USB-C ports here.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
2016 13" Pro here too. Don't know about yours but mine is the bog standard function key spec with the 2.0GHz dual core processor. 8/256GB.

I've just been updating to the latest OS a few months after they're released. Currently on Monterey 12.6.6. I've not really noticed a slowdown in performance. Could well be that each OS has gradually slowed it down a bit and I haven't realised this gradual decrease. However for what I do it still performs very well. Battery life on the other hand...

Reactions: ffff14P

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Internet recovery may not work and you will get a cannot contact recovery server...

While running High Sierra, download Mojave from the App Store then create a bootable flash drive... Just search Apple website download macOS and it has the links...

I use Safari and Firefox for browsing and decided to only use Chrome on Windows...

• Love
Reactions: TimmuJapan

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Got a macbook pro 2016 model 13,3 - 16gb ram 1TB.
Currently running high sierra but to run some apps that I need I have to upgrade the OS.

I'm usually against upgrading OS on my Macs and iPhones because they usually bog the devices down.

Should I upgrade the Macbook or will it bog down?
Monterey 12.6.6.works great on my 2016 MBP with 16 GB RAM, even though my workflow prefers much more RAM. That is the latest OS available for that box.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Looks like the app’s minimum req is 10.14 that’s Mojave correct?

Could you please tell me how to upgrade it to that?

I also prefer not to upgrade to the newest OS.
You cannot upgrade to the newest OS. Monterey (12.6.6) is the latest OS for that box.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA

The box you mention is limited to max 16 GB RAM.

I am not conversant with others' workflows, but when we are operating under the limitations of RAM I suggest:
A) Upgrade to Monterey, which worked well for me with that box.
B) Try to close less necessary browser tabs and apps not in current use.
C) If/when you get a new box buy plenty of RAM, planning for 2025+ not for 2023.

Last edited:

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I agree. I’m running El Capitan on my 2015 MacBook Pro, but it’s a common sentiment here from those who have updated that Mojave is the limit as far as good performance goes.
I do not know where your "common sentiment" comes from, but my experience with Monterey (now 12.6.6) on the same 2016 box, same RAM as the OP is that it has been the best OS yet on that box. And I overworked the box and overdemanded on the RAM constantly. When I took the workflow to a new MBP fat with RAM it is typically using 30-40 GB.

Note that I tend to be reluctant to upgrade from an OS that is working well. Nevertheless moving up to Monterey worked out very well for me. Apps used include Photos, Affinity Photo, Photoshop, Mail, Notes, PDF Expert, Filemaker Pro, Safari, Maps, Pages...

Last edited:
Reactions: jchap

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I have a 15" 2015 MacBook Pro 16GB RAM with 1TB storage... It does not have a discrete graphics card... I bought it pre-owned and it came with Monterey 12.3

Because of my experience with iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, I decided to downgrade it... Using internet recovery, I was able to install High Sierra on it... Pressing the combination keys for the latest supported version, I get Monterey...

I first decided to upgrade to Catalina for it is the last version designed for intel Macs... Big Sur and newer can be installed on intel Macs but they are primarily designed for Apple Silicon...

After testing and switching between High Sierra and Monterey [Catalina got broken and I did not create a bootable flash drive at the time], for some reason, internet recovery can no longer install High Sierra and I get recovery server could not be contacted...

As a last resort, and no bootable flash drive, I decided to go with Monterey... I initially decided not to go past Catalina because Monterey is 12GB download and the install time is way longer than Catalina and older versions...

Launching Monterey Disk Utility on internet recovery gives me the spinning wheel of death which seems to agree with my conclusion of not to use the newer/latest supported version... Monterey seems to boot a little slower than Catalina and High Sierra but after using Monterey for about a month now, it seems to perform okay although at the moment I just use it for AirDrop and web browsing...

As soon as I have the funds fo Final Cut Pro, I will purchase it but for now I will go with iMovie...

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I am not conversant with others' workflows, but when we are operating under the limitations of RAM I suggest:
A) Upgrade to Monterey, which worked well for me with that box.
B) Try to close less necessary browser tabs and apps not in current use.
C) If/when you get a new box buy plenty of RAM, planning for 2025+ not for 2023.
YES!! @Saijin, Google Chrome has a "memory saver" feature where it effectively offloads tabs you aren't using and then when you click on them again, they'll reload, and it does save some memory—not a lot, but a good amount in my experience.

ALWAYS FUTURE-PROOF YOURSELF, especially when getting a Mac, since you can't upgrade anything afterwards!

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
How are you still using El Capitan in 2023? Nothing works on it anymore AFAIK. I respectfully disagree about Mojave being the "last usable OS" from a performance standpoint. Big Sur is very fast on almost any Mac. Monterey is a little slower, but Big Sur is perfectly fine on almost any Mac.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017

Catalina was a bit of a dud but Big Sur and Monterey surpassed Mojave in performance in my experience with Intel Macs. The only reason to use Mojave or earlier these days is for 32-bit support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.