Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brie_M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
So I've been reading rumors about Apple putting AMD w9100 32gb gpu in the next gen Mac Pro. I believe this is a really bad mistake if Apple decides to do that. With the price of $5000 per gpu it's slower then the the Nvidia counter part, the p6000 with 24gb. Apple always uses Amd GPUs but they're not good, if you look at the past with the w8100 and the m5000, Nvidias m5000 kicks the **** out of the w8100 on every benchmark and rendering test. Also since both the w9100 and the p6000 both cost $5000 Apple should just go with Nvidia and then people would pay the huge price, but it would be worth it since the Mac pro would be insanely fast. Also in the video (Zoneoftech Chanel) he says that they might throw in 2 of those w9100s in there which is nice, but 2 p6000 would make the Mac Pro worth it and more people would buy it to.

My personal Mac Pro wish list: *Latest Xeon CPU or kabylake CPU *2x Nvidia p6000 gpu *Ram 128 GB ~2666 MHz *SSD up to 4tb or higher option *6 thunderbolt 3 ports *Ethernet port (all a dream)

What else would you want?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
So I've been reading rumors about Apple putting AMD w9100 32gb gpu in the next gen Mac Pro. I believe this is a really bad mistake if Apple decides to do that. With the price of $5000 per gpu it's slower then the the Nvidia counter part, the p6000 with 24gb. Apple always uses Amd GPUs but they're not good, if you look at the past with the w8100 and the m5000, Nvidias m5000 kicks the **** out of the w8100 on every benchmark and rendering test. Also since both the w9100 and the p6000 both cost $5000 Apple should just go with Nvidia and then people would pay the huge price, but it would be worth it since the Mac pro would be insanely fast. Also in the video (Zoneoftech Chanel) he says that they might throw in 2 of those w9100s in there which is nice, but 2 p6000 would make the Mac Pro worth it and more people would buy it to.

My personal Mac Pro wish list: *Latest Xeon CPU or kabylake CPU *2x Nvidia p6000 gpu *Ram 128 GB ~2666 MHz *SSD up to 4tb or higher option *6 thunderbolt 3 ports *Ethernet port (all a dream)

What I want is either for you to accept that rumor, buy pc, or wait a decade for next announcement.
Honestly, where did you find those info?

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016

Apple should just bring back the tower design so that customers can just place any GPU they want via PCI-E...
Their stupid trashcan is the most idiotic design they've ever made.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
They'll just reduce it to mobile GPUs. And, if anyone can do it, I have faith in Apple's engineering to find a way to just put a basic integrated GPU in the Mac Pro.

They'll say workstations and servers don't need powerful graphics.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
They'll just reduce it to mobile GPUs. And, if anyone can do it, I have faith in Apple's engineering to find a way to just put a basic integrated GPU in the Mac Pro.

They'll say workstations and servers don't need powerful graphics.
But they will let you buy 2 of them, just to get close to 1 normal one. :> sigh

Brie_M

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Apple should just bring back the tower design so that customers can just place any GPU they want via PCI-E...
Their stupid trashcan is the most idiotic design they've ever made.

I get what u mean, but honestly I love that trash can design and I wish they would just give us the power that we want/need.

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016
I get what u mean, but honestly I love that trash can design and I wish they would just give us the power that we want/need.
Good industrial design can make a tower look gorgeous without compromising performance. The cMP was gorgeous... and I'm pretty sure they can do something better than that while keeping the tower or other upgradable form factor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.