Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
No questions, just an informative post:

2 weeks ago I traded in my 2006 Mazda3 for a 2016 Mazda6(I found a Touring with a 6MT, that I couldn’t pass up). The head unit had the 7” screen with MazdaConnect software, which worked ok for basic use, but was lacking in features otherwise and was very ugly(IMO).

After a little research I found that the software could be upgraded easily and CarPlay could be added with a some work. Following some instructions online, I upgraded to the newest version of MazdaConnect which took about 45 minutes. I also ordered the CarPlay upgrade kit from eBay for $148. Install of the wire harness and upgraded USB hub is a bit more involved and required taking the dashboard apart, removing the stereo, routing the new wiring through the dash and center console, swapping out the USB hub and then putting it all back together. This took about 2 hours.

Overall, CarPlay is pretty awesome. The MazdaConnect software is still there in the background but as long as I plug my phone in, I don’t really have to mess with it. Siri works great and navigation using Apple Maps has been a good experience.

Anyway, I just wanted to post about the upgrade experience. If anyone has questions, I can link to the guides and kits I used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.