Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSpiro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've been using my MB since 2016, love this laptop and still is everything I need.

I replaced the stupid butterfly keyboard and the battery back in January and it's been running well. I went to use the laptop a couple of days ago and it wouldn't boot up. Battery was fully charged. I plugged it in, and it booted right up. OSX is showing that there is not a battery in the laptop and it wont run without being plugged in.

I opened it up, and the LED light on the logic board is lit. I verified all connections and everything looked good. Battery was physically in good shape.

The next day, the keyboard and trackpad stopped responding. I replaced the cables that connect the keyboard and trackpad to no avail. Keyboard and mouse still not functioning.

I am at a loss as to what is wrong with the battery, keyboard, and trackpad. Is this a failing logic board issue? Is this salvageable?

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Seems like you did more than the average user would in order to troubleshoot. Probably safe to say the Logic Board is indeed failing. Take it in to Apple and have them run a diagnostic on it and they might be able to confirm for you. Given the leap that their current lineup has made in comparison to the model you have, it might be worth it to consider getting a new one.

If I'm not mistaken, a current base model MBA outperforms just about all of the Intel MBP models. A ton of more power, significantly better battery life and won't sound like a jet engine when you open safari.

Reactions: MarineBand5524

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
“and won't sound like a jet engine when you open safari.”

Clearly you don’t know why we like MacBooks.

They are fanless.

Reactions: Fozziebear40

thisMRguy

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
I had m5 2016, upgraded the logic board to a maxed out 2017, i7/16/512. One thing about opening a macbook case is the ribbons, i was extremely gentle with them and even then i screwed up the ribbon for the KB/trackpad and speaker.

Since you're keen to open and play around with the insides, Aliexpress sells all the ribbons parts for our macbooks (even logic boards) for peanuts, best to order double of each and replace them. its worth a $10 shot and thats my 2 cents.

Reactions: StoneJack

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I've been using my MB since 2016, love this laptop and still is everything I need.

I replaced the stupid butterfly keyboard and the battery back in January and it's been running well. I went to use the laptop a couple of days ago and it wouldn't boot up. Battery was fully charged. I plugged it in, and it booted right up. OSX is showing that there is not a battery in the laptop and it wont run without being plugged in.

I opened it up, and the LED light on the logic board is lit. I verified all connections and everything looked good. Battery was physically in good shape.

The next day, the keyboard and trackpad stopped responding. I replaced the cables that connect the keyboard and trackpad to no avail. Keyboard and mouse still not functioning.

I am at a loss as to what is wrong with the battery, keyboard, and trackpad. Is this a failing logic board issue? Is this salvageable?
if I am not mistaken, it is not logic board (if it was failing, nothing would boot), but IO board, which is responsible for battery, keyboard and trackpad. Just replace or clean that part

jido

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
When I opened my MacBook 12", the keyboard and trackpad were not working, but strangely the power button was.

I eventually realised that I had not plugged the ribbon cable back correctly (the end attached to the motherboard).

Reactions: StoneJack
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.