Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
So I got my first kernel panic on my 15" 2016 MBP. I have never seen this: the event is "Sleep Wake Failure" and the stackshot reason is "Watchdog".

It happened when resuming the MBP from sleep. It was asleep in clamshell mode, connected to an Asus MX27UC 4K display via USB-C. Up to now, it had always resumed properly from standby when opening the lid while connected to the 4K display.

In the console, if I search for powerd events I find several of the following:

---

com.apple.message.domain: com.apple.sleepwake.failure
com.apple.message.signature3: Wake
com.apple.message.signature: Interest Failure
com.apple.message.value: 1921
com.apple.message.summarize: NO

---

I am also attaching the full kernel panic log.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Could it still be a bug with 4K USB-C displays? I have read of crashes with such setups, but nothing similar regarding kernel panics etc.

Thanks!

Attachments

• sleep wake failure crash.txt
    50.7 KB · Views: 735

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
So I got my first kernel panic on my 15" 2016 MBP. I have never seen this: the event is "Sleep Wake Failure" and the stackshot reason is "Watchdog".

It happened when resuming the MBP from sleep. It was asleep in clamshell mode, connected to an Asus MX27UC 4K display via USB-C. Up to now, it had always resumed properly from standby when opening the lid while connected to the 4K display.

---

---

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Could it still be a bug with 4K USB-C displays? I have read of crashes with such setups, but nothing similar regarding kernel panics etc.

Thanks!

It's a software bug, it's because it was connected to a display during deep sleep.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
It's a software bug, it's because it was connected to a display during deep sleep.

Interesting. How can I prevent it from going to deep sleep? I don't really need that, as it's always connected to power, so I don't really care for deep sleep.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
Interesting. How can I prevent it from going to deep sleep? I don't really need that, as it's always connected to power, so I don't really care for deep sleep.

I don't know it right now but it's in console google for disable hibiration

canberksenolsun

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2017
To all of you that are suffering from this problem, these kernel panicks are almost always caused by 3rd party kernel extensions UNLESS you have a hardware failure.

To see the 3rd party installed kernel extensions, open Terminal and type:
Code:
kextstat | grep -v apple

You will see the 3rd party extensions listed there. I suggest that you go thru the regular uninstallation procedures of all the software that are related to those extensions. If you don't know the software that is responsible from that extensions OR if the kernel extensions is still there even after the installation, I suggest that you go ahead and manually remove the .kext folder from your system. The steps are as follows:

The kernel extensions are stored in 2 locations. Either
/Library/Extensions
or
/System/Library/Extensions

Once you located the 3rd party .kext folder in either of these paths, remove the extensions by typing the following command:
Code:
sudo rm -R type_the_name_of_the_3rd_party_kext_file.kext/

of course by replacing the word type_the_name_of_the_3rd_party_kext_file with your .kext file's name.

Once you removed the kernel extensions, reboot your computer and enjoy. If you are still facing with issues, then you have a hardware problem and need to send your device in for repair. Oh, you're welcome.

compukortschnoi

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2015

---

---

Thanks!

@ManuCH: Same here. And by the way: no third-party kernel extensions.

Did you do something in the meantime (contacting Apple, tuning the sleep mode etc.)?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
@ManuCH: Same here. And by the way: no third-party kernel extensions.

Did you do something in the meantime (contacting Apple, tuning the sleep mode etc.)?

I disabled deep sleep mode and didn't experience the issue anymore ever since. So yes, there probably is a deep sleep bug, but I don't really care as I don't need it.

upup

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2017
Here are the commands I used:

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

I can't delete sleep image because haven't got permission. I am Admin and SIP is off, also can't switch (read and write) option for everyone on this file

Thx

b76302

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I have a 15" 2016 MBP. I take it between work and office and connect / disconnect throughout the day for meetings without issue. At home, it is connected to a USB-C LG-38UC99 via USB-C and two Apple Thunderbolt displays daisy-chained with one Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. Overnight, the machine goes into deep sleep. If I resume it in the morning (still in clamshell mode), the two Thunderbolt screens will come back, but the USB-C LG stays asleep. If I disconnect and reconnect, it won't fix it. When opening the MBP iid to exit clamshell mode, the screen on the MBP remains off. If I close the lid and resume it, it will then reboot itself. Upon logging in, I have the watchdog error.

No samples for specified time interval

================================================================

Code: 0x9004000027
Stackshot reason: Watchdog

Model: MacBookPro13,3, BootROM MBP133.0247.B00, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.38f7
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 530, Intel HD Graphics 530, Built-In
Graphics: Radeon Pro 455, AMD Radeon Pro 455, PCIe
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445424533303445422D45474347202020
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM0, 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, 0x80CE, 0x4B3445424533303445422D45474347202020
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x15A), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (7.77.37.31.1a9)
Bluetooth: Version 6.0.7f10, 3 services, 27 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
USB Device: USB 3.0 Bus
USB Device: iBridge
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 33.1
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 33.1

I wanted to mention this because it seems for me the problem is only after introducing the USB-C device in clamshell mode. Everything resumes correctly with regular sleep mode. Before I bought the LG, I used 3 Apple Thunderbolt displays, and experienced no issues when resuming from deep sleep in clamshell mode. I am also disabling deep sleep per ManuCH. It's unfortunate this continues to be a problem in 10.13.6, but probably solvable if enough people have issues. I have also reported this to Apple.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Once you removed the kernel extensions, reboot your computer and enjoy. If you are still facing with issues, then you have a hardware problem and need to send your device in for repair. Oh, you're welcome.
Sounds like pretty bad advice, honestly. Uninstalling parts of a software willy nilly will not only break it and stop it from functioning, also without investigating whether that software is actually the root cause you might well still enjoy OS crashes after removing it. And hardware problems is not the only other root cause of system crashes, and certainly not the most common reason.

LeChat

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
To all of you that are suffering from this problem, these kernel panicks are almost always caused by 3rd party kernel extensions UNLESS you have a hardware failure.

To see the 3rd party installed kernel extensions, open Terminal and type:
Code:
kextstat | grep -v apple

You will see the 3rd party extensions listed there. I suggest that you go thru the regular uninstallation procedures of all the software that are related to those extensions. If you don't know the software that is responsible from that extensions OR if the kernel extensions is still there even after the installation, I suggest that you go ahead and manually remove the .kext folder from your system. The steps are as follows:

The kernel extensions are stored in 2 locations. Either
/Library/Extensions
or
/System/Library/Extensions

Once you located the 3rd party .kext folder in either of these paths, remove the extensions by typing the following command:
Code:
sudo rm -R type_the_name_of_the_3rd_party_kext_file.kext/

of course by replacing the word type_the_name_of_the_3rd_party_kext_file with your .kext file's name.

I think in my case my Aura Pro X (PCIe SSD) is the hardware issue. However, I have no issue when I am using the computer. I only have sudden reboots when the computer is closed and supposedly on Sleep mode.
Is my diagnostic correct? I would find it weird if it is only my SSD as my system is installed on it and properly working (when on use), but when I read the 3rd party kernel extension I only have my Google drive being displayed:
Code:
kextstat | grep -v apple
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>
  163    0 0xffffff7f83d28000 0x15000    0x15000    com.google.drivefs.filesystems.dfsfuse (36.0.18) BLABLABLABLA <8 6 5 3 1>
Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.