Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which keyboard do you prefer (rest of the specs aside)

• 2016 Model (1st generation keyboard)

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • 2017 Model (2nd generation keyboard)

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VR46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
London
I'm in the market for a Macbook in the next few weeks, if they don't get updated at all next month....

And the 12" 2016 and 2017 models had exactly the same spec CPU, Memory etc would you plump for Butterfly keyboard generation one of 2016 or generation two from 2017 model?

Apologies for yet another keyboard related thread just want to garner views from rMB owners who have hopefully owned both models but of course any input appreciated.

Thanks,

Rory76

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
I'm in the market for a Macbook in the next few weeks, if they don't get updated at all next month....

And the 12" 2016 and 2017 models had exactly the same spec CPU, Memory etc would you plump for Butterfly keyboard generation one of 2016 or generation two from 2017 model?

Apologies for yet another keyboard related thread just want to garner views from rMB owners who have hopefully owned both models but of course any input appreciated.

Thanks,
I’ve had both but kept the 2017 and sold the 2016 model. For a few days, I had them side by side on my desk and was able to closely examine the differences. IMO, the 2017 model is definitely an improvement over the 2015/2016 models with regard to the feel of the keyboard. It’s much less fatiguing to type on for long periods of time as you can actually feel a bit of travel vs feeling like your fingers are tapping against a totally flat surface without any travel. Oddly enough, when I did typing speed tests back to back on both keyboards, I pretty much got the same speed and accuracy results. BUT, again, it just feels so much better typing on the newer keyboard. The 2017 keyboard is louder in a “clickety clack” sense but I remedied that (and hopefully will keep it cleaner and the keys from sticking) by using a high quality keyboard cover. With the keyboard cover on it’s no louder than the 2016 model and I actually prefer the feel of the keyboard cover over the bare keys. After trying a bunch of the keyboard covers, I’m using an uppercase ghost cover that’s available on Amazon. It’s a little pricier than the others but SUPER thin allowing the MacBook to fully close with it on, doesn’t slide around on the KB (at least for me), and has a very nice feel to it. Initially, I kept a thin microfiber cloth between the keyboard cover and screen when the MacBook was closed to protect the Retina display. However, I’ve stopped doing that as the uppercase screen protector is so very thin, it really doesn’t seem to press again the display when closed (no residue on screen upon opening and the keyboard cover hasn’t been sticking to the screen when I open the MacBook). Let me know if you have any questions.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Personally, I had a 2015 (twice) and found it so intolerable that I got rid of each of them. That's a very personal conclusion, and YMMV, but I simply could not type on that keyboard.

I bought the MacBook I'm typing this on during BB's one-day flash sale and a month later I have to say I really, really like it this time. They keyboard is different, but I find it very usable. I can type quickly and accurately, neither of which was true with the Gen 1 keyboard.

VR46

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2016
London
Thanks for your feedback both, confirms what I imagined really that the second generation keyboard was a better experience and touch wood problem free.

Lets see what WWDC next week brings....

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
I've actually used all three iterations of Apple's butterfly keyboard.

Their very first attempt on a 2015 MacBook.
The slightly improved 2016 version on a 2016 MacBook Pro.
The even more improved 2017 version on a 2017 MacBook.

The first iteration (2015 MacBook) was terrible to type on: very mushy keys, no distinct feedback, various different kinds of audio feedback (aka: some keys sounded very different from others). However, there don't seem to be any reliability issues with this particular keyboard and the person I had borrowed this MacBook from is still using it to this very day without any issues.

The second iteration (2016 MacBook Pro) was much better to type on but broke 3x in a matter of less than 8 months. I ended up selling the MacBook Pro after a long hard fight with Apple who insisted the keyboard was perfect and there were no know issues and I was the FIRST and certainly ONE and ONLY person on this planet with keyboard issues. On their third and final keyboard replacement attempt they did end up giving me the 2017 keyboard but I sold the MacBook Pro immediately after getting it back from service as I had lost all trust and faith at this point.

The third iteration (2017 MacBook) feels like the 2016 one in regards to type and feel but is supposed to be more reliable. I can't comment on that just yet as I just purchased this MacBook a few weeks ago. The average keyboard life on my 2016 model was between 2-3 months so we'll see in a few weeks whether or not this one is more reliable than the 2016 version.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
On their third and final keyboard replacement attempt they did end up giving me the 2017 keyboard but I sold the MacBook Pro immediately after getting it back from service as I had lost all trust and faith at this point.

So one can put 2017 keyboard in 2015 rMB?

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Don't know about the MacBook. I was referring to the MacBook Pro. And it's not just the keyboard, it's the entire top case including keyboard, touchpad, battery, and speakers.

Reactions: radiologyman

kcroyal

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2018
I will just add that I have a 2015 MBP and a 2017 MB and I prefer the typing experience of the 2017. For extended sessions it just feels more satisfying and less fatiguing. Your mileage may vary.

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
Don't know about the MacBook. I was referring to the MacBook Pro. And it's not just the keyboard, it's the entire top case including keyboard, touchpad, battery, and speakers.
Seems like 2015 MB has something different about USB C connector opening so top case is not easy to exchange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.