Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el.rafar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2023
Hello everyone,

With the help of the MacRumors forum I have upgraded my 2017 27'' iMac that I use everyday for work and anything else for the last year. It has a 7600k processor, 32GB of RAM, a brand-new 1TB SSD and it is running Sonoma with the help of the open core legacy patcher .

I also have a 2019 21'' iMac at my home, my wife´s computer, and a 2018 Mac mini at my work office...

I have perceived one big difference between my 2017 27'' and the other two Macs when running the Intel Power Gadget app. On the newer and officially supported Macs, the processor throttles between a big range trying to stay cool and save some power. I can see the Mac mini going all the way to 70W power package and frequencies between 1.3-1.9 Ghz all the way up to 4Ghz.

On the 27'' the core frequencies stay between the base clock of 3.8 and the max turbo of 4.1Ghz, not any lower, and also the power consumption never goes beyond 65W and this is a 95W TDP processor. Temps are in control, core max goes ups to 95º when stress testing and stay there, the iMac is in a A/C room temps at 25º.

Is this a measurement error or open core may be configured inproperly? I think I´m leaving performance in the table and that iMac can perform even better.

On the "feeling" side of things, it is "snappier" then the other two, but the iMac has an really fast SSD that tops the PCIe Gen3 bus at 2.8 Gb/sec reads and writes so it may be biased.

Any thing I can check? Or other configuration that I can make?

Thanks In advance for the tips and tricks!

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Sounds like a great upgrade! I don't believe it will be possible to fix this problem, as I've never encountered any software which goes so deep as to specify CPU clock frequencies at idle. BIOS in Macs is non-existent from what I know.

If the temperatures are in check and you're not disturbed by the fan noise, it seems like a non-issue.

If you're having temp/fan noise issues, I recommend buying TurboBoost Switcher Pro for $10. It will allow to permanently disable TurboBoost at Mac OS launch or under specific conditions, including reaching the 95C core temp.

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Hello everyone,

With the help of the MacRumors forum I have upgraded my 2017 27'' iMac that I use everyday for work and anything else for the last year. It has a 7600k processor, 32GB of RAM, a brand-new 1TB SSD and it is running Sonoma with the help of the open core legacy patcher .

I also have a 2019 21'' iMac at my home, my wife´s computer, and a 2018 Mac mini at my work office...

I have perceived one big difference between my 2017 27'' and the other two Macs when running the Intel Power Gadget app. On the newer and officially supported Macs, the processor throttles between a big range trying to stay cool and save some power. I can see the Mac mini going all the way to 70W power package and frequencies between 1.3-1.9 Ghz all the way up to 4Ghz.

On the 27'' the core frequencies stay between the base clock of 3.8 and the max turbo of 4.1Ghz, not any lower, and also the power consumption never goes beyond 65W and this is a 95W TDP processor. Temps are in control, core max goes ups to 95º when stress testing and stay there, the iMac is in a A/C room temps at 25º.

Is this a measurement error or open core may be configured inproperly? I think I´m leaving performance in the table and that iMac can perform even better.

On the "feeling" side of things, it is "snappier" then the other two, but the iMac has an really fast SSD that tops the PCIe Gen3 bus at 2.8 Gb/sec reads and writes so it may be biased.

Any thing I can check? Or other configuration that I can make?

Thanks In advance for the tips and tricks!

That's the common symptom of K series Intel core i5, i7 CPUs. You can try undervolting it but as some others have said, 'If it doesn't break, don't try to fix it".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.