Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Previously it seemed to have worked it self out-- if anyone is connivenced the ssd that I boot up and use for a system drive is faulty or getting faulity....no problem - I can reload to a new ssd and boot from there....that should work? if it is indeed a glitchy boot up drive. thanks all.....

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Let me guess... Your iMac has a Fusion drive.
Am I correct about that?
You mentioned booting from an SSD.
Is that an external SSD?
That's not always the best solution, if you have left a failing internal device (there's 2 parts to that Fusion drive) still in place.

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Let me guess... Your iMac has a Fusion drive.
Am I correct about that?
You mentioned booting from an SSD.
Is that an external SSD?
That's not always the best solution, if you have left a failing internal device (there's 2 parts to that Fusion drive) still in place.
No, i moved from the fusion a year and ahalf ago and went to a 2tb ext ssd....just did superduper to 1tb ext ssd ...still the same....(and not bob segar still the same) same beach balling.....

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
No, i moved from the fusion a year and ahalf ago and went to a 2tb ext ssd....just did superduper to 1tb ext ssd ...still the same....(and not bob segar still the same) same beach balling.....
... meaning you removed the failing Fusion Drive components? Or did you leave them installed? If installed, are the component Fusion SSD and HDD individually formatted and mounted?

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
no left them in place but unused- they do not show up on disk utli ..logon drives or super duper .....and I seem to think it is tied to safari ..of all things.....seem?----this imac 2017 did this a 4 or so months but after a week or two straightened itself out ....and to be fair, seems apple did a few quick safari updates, but now here we are again-on start up safari chews up cpu max time for longer than I think it should .....booted safe etc several times copied to another 1tb ext ssd--still they same....(not bob) --it the past I have found it unproductive to run etrecheck --check logs etc.....one thing I tried before and I just remembered- delete the plist.....I will do that now....thanks for you trouble unless you have specifice resolution no use wasting your time....but thank you very much for you help

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You say you left the fusion drive components in place, but, for some reason those internal drives do not show in Disk Utility. They should appear in DU, even if you are not using them, as long as they are still connected.

You can double-check to see if the system sees either of those devices:
Open your Terminal...
Type the command
Code:
diskutil list
Then press Return
you will see a list of all connected devices that are storage devices.
Your existing external SSD (the drive you currently use) will be listed as an external, physical device
You will probably see two devices listed as internal, physical devices
That's your fusion drive, and your Mac still sees them, and they are still powered up. The spinning hard drive still spins, because it is still connected, and it's a full-sized 3.5-inch spinner.
And, "unused" does not mean that it has no affect. If the spinning hard drive is still spinning, and fails, the result can be unusual problems, perhaps slowdowns of the system, including that dreaded spinning beach ball

lasloduncan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Thank you for your help also thank you for the terminal commands I will use them momentarily an update on the situation I have isolated it once again to Safari I've had this issue four or five times in the last 6 months I think or so-- if you just quit using Safari and don't open it up everything's fine - but in the meantime I had force quit so many times and after you do that for about a week week and a half it seems or it has seemed in the past at least five or six times Apple will do an upgrade to Safari which they just did today and it looks like I'm temporarily fixed again ----my hard drive is spinning I can hear it I have not yet checked the terminal command that you gave me to see that it's there I think maybe it's there and I've just done familiar with the the verbiage on a Disk Utility in fact I would bet that's the problem it's probably my problem- operator problem I'm an old guy I don't do this stuff for a living you know what I mean I'm just trying to rock along in life-- anyway I'm probably wrong about the the hard drive but it's there I can hear it spinning I think it's useless because like I said I use ext ssd's-- two or three or four Samsung ssds 1tb and a 2 terabyte I actually got the same Ventura on two of them so I'm okay and if I have to I can use an older Ventura and and update it if I need to boot from it ----anyway I think I'm okay guys--- I appreciate your help --as usual it's a learning experience for me and I love using terminal but I don't know anything about it- I'm not a bit intimidated by it though and I'm not sure why? that is most people are, I think, it's a simple deal it's either works or doesn't work you know what I mean thank you guys I appreciate your help have a great day sorry for they typeing i do voice to text then copy and paste I hate to type......no, I am not drunk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.