Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
I have a 128GB 2017 iPad. Frequently when streaming video, like YouTube or Netflix, the video will just stop and I get the buffering/loading wheel on the screen. It usually won't start back up again until I bring up Control Center and toggle WiFi off and back on. Then it starts back up again fine. But often it will do it again soon.

This is particularly irritating when on the treadmill and watching Netflix.

I am running the latest iOS on the iPad, all apps up to date. My router is an Asus N900, which is also up to date on firmware.
I have it set so that the 2.4G and 5Ghz bands use the same SSID name.
I also have an Airport Express in my bedroom connected to speakers for Airplay.

I have rebooted the iPad and the router but it keeps happening.

Usually when this happens I am also using a Bluetooth speaker for audio.

Anyone have an idea what this could be?

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Bluetooth and 2.4GHz wifi overlap to some degree in spectrum, I believe. If streaming music via Bluetooth exacerbates the problem that would tend to confirm that this overlap is the problem. As a further debugging aid perhaps you could turn off the 2.4GHz radio in your router temporarily and see if forcing the iPad onto 5 GHz improves the situation.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Are you in an apartment complex? Sometimes many people around you have WiFi that can interfere. What about other devices connected? Do you have kids? I had similar problems with my WiFi for other devices like phone or that. Found our channels overlapped a bunch of other networks visible in my area. That and my niece would be doing multiple things on her pc chewing up bandwidth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.