Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Anyone have major glitch issues with CarPlay in a 2017 Honda? Plugging in my iPhone 7 regularly causes the whole system computer to crash, the touchscreen freezes or flickers or both, the audio blast through like digital noise, it sometimes says no device is connected when it is and is playing music, etc.. this all happens daily and makes it dangerous and unusable which sucks for something that could be so nice on a brand new car... Of course when i take it to the dealer it seems to be the one day it works fine...

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Anyone have major glitch issues with CarPlay in a 2017 Honda? Plugging in my iPhone 7 regularly causes the whole system computer to crash, the touchscreen freezes or flickers or both, the audio blast through like digital noise, it sometimes says no device is connected when it is and is playing music, etc.. this all happens daily and makes it dangerous and unusable which sucks for something that could be so nice on a brand new car... Of course when i take it to the dealer it seems to be the one day it works fine...

Hmm...sorry you've been having issues with it. I too have a 2017 Civic and so far CarPlay has been working great on my end. The only issue I sometimes have is very rare, (i.e has happened maybe half a dozen times since I've owned the car), but every now and then the screen will go completely blank when I'm in the CarPlay section. Hitting the Climate button to bring up the climate controls, and then hitting it again to dismiss the climate controls always does the trick - in a way, it kind of refreshes the screen to get the CarPlay display to load again.

Whenever I plug in my phone, whatever audio I was last listening to (music, audiobooks, podcasts, whatever) does automatically start playing at whatever volume I left it, even if I paused the audio before disconnecting my phone. That's kind of annoying, but I always just thought it was a flaw of CarPlay's design as opposed to it simply not working right.

Have you asked your dealership to take a look at it? Also, what kind of Lightning cable are you using to connect your phone to the system?

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
Hmm...sorry you've been having issues with it. I too have a 2017 Civic and so far CarPlay has been working great on my end. The only issue I sometimes have is very rare, (i.e has happened maybe half a dozen times since I've owned the car), but every now and then the screen will go completely blank when I'm in the CarPlay section. Hitting the Climate button to bring up the climate controls, and then hitting it again to dismiss the climate controls always does the trick - in a way, it kind of refreshes the screen to get the CarPlay display to load again.

Whenever I plug in my phone, whatever audio I was last listening to (music, audiobooks, podcasts, whatever) does automatically start playing at whatever volume I left it, even if I paused the audio before disconnecting my phone. That's kind of annoying, but I always just thought it was a flaw of CarPlay's design as opposed to it simply not working right.

Have you asked your dealership to take a look at it? Also, what kind of Lightning cable are you using to connect your phone to the system?

Well it's good to hear someone has a working one. I just got the car in may and it's been a mess since day 1. I was so excited to have it at first and lately i just use the bluetooth. I took it back to the dealer once to have them look at it and of course that was the day it worked perfectly for me and them... the dealer is about an hour from my house. They reset the system however and i drove home with it working but i stopped to get gas an as soon as i started up again it was glitching like crazy. I bought a well rated mfi approved black lightning cable to use in the car and I also have my apple cable. it makes zero dif which one I use, it still screws up just as bad. Definitely maddening. Half the reason i bought a new car was to have all the modern convenience and this has been nothing but a danger. One day it took down the system so bad the fan buttons wouldn't even work. And once the screen starts flickering it's useless. I just made this video to sent to the dealer showing some of the glitches

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
Well it's good to hear someone has a working one. I just got the car in may and it's been a mess since day 1. I was so excited to have it at first and lately i just use the bluetooth. I took it back to the dealer once to have them look at it and of course that was the day it worked perfectly for me and them... the dealer is about an hour from my house. They reset the system however and i drove home with it working but i stopped to get gas an as soon as i started up again it was glitching like crazy. I bought a well rated mfi approved black lightning cable to use in the car and I also have my apple cable. it makes zero dif which one I use, it still screws up just as bad. Definitely maddening. Half the reason i bought a new car was to have all the modern convenience and this has been nothing but a danger. One day it took down the system so bad the fan buttons wouldn't even work. And once the screen starts flickering it's useless. I just made this video to sent to the dealer showing some of the glitches
This really seems like you have a faulty head unit in the car. You should contact the Honda support line for the Civic’s electronics. Send them this video. The unit is android powered and that looks like something is wrong with the internal system rather than CarPlay.

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I have had the opposite experience. Since iOS 11, when using CarPlay my unit will go to black screen or say there is no device connected when it is actually still playing music through the Aux cord.
Not too sure what is wrong with it, but is needs an oil change soon so I will also tell the dealer about this when I schedule my appointment.

Rychiar

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Waterbury, CT
I have had the opposite experience. Since iOS 11, when using CarPlay my unit will go to black screen or say there is no device connected when it is actually still playing music through the Aux cord.
Not too sure what is wrong with it, but is needs an oil change soon so I will also tell the dealer about this when I schedule my appointment.
Mine did that constantly before the update. And that was the least awful thing it would do. Other times it would suddenly blast crazy distorted skipping music and the screen would flicker like an old tv. The touch screen wouldn’t functon at all so I was actually lucky when the whole computer system finally crashed and reset

Designmaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2017
I have the same problem from yesterday.... I cannot pare my phone and carpal stopped to work. Have no idea what happened.
[doublepost=1511359990][/doublepost]
I have the same problem from yesterday.... I cannot pare my phone and carplay stopped to work. Have no idea what happened.

tlickliter2001

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2019
[doublepost=1564503998][/doublepost]Hi, What was the outcome of your display screen intermittently going black and coming on? I have had the same issue since I bought my car o Aug of 2017. I couldn't prove it to the dealership because when I told them about it, it would go away. The issue was never consistent. Until last week when it continued for an entire day, I took video (same video as yours) and called to bring it in. The issue naturally stopped by the time the car was brought in to the dealership. They saw my video and could not get the issue to duplicate. They've had my car for over a day now and still no outcome. Less than 2 year old car with 45K miles (yes, I do drive a lot - that's what cars are made for) and it's out of warranty so this is going to cost me. It's ridiculous to have a new car and this happen.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Unfortunately looks like this is an issue with your stereo head connection. I’d take it back to the dealer to see if they can look into this further.

My gf has a 2017 Honda Civic EX-T and CarPlay works great on it (iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone X and her new iPhone XS Max).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.