Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WayneColo

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Banda I am having the same issue and used Super Duper to clone on my Samsung T5. I can reboot and hold option.. But can't set as default boot drive in startup disk as it does not show up...

I have this same problem now. Anyone know what's up with that.

MMCLN

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2019
Mine is so much faster now with Samsung T5.
The only issue I have is not seeing an external drive in the default start up disc option in system preferences.
(4K Retina 2017 21.5" High Sierra 10.13.6)
Any ideas?

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have a similar problem - my Imac 27" 2011 High Sierra 10.13.6 internal HDD is dead. I didn't want to crack the machine and replace it, so I created a bootable LaCie ext Firewire / USB 3.0 portable HDD and that worked, but it was slower than molasses.

Eventually I got a Transcend StoreJet 500 for Mac ext SSD and boot from one of the Thunderbolt 2 ports. It was the cheapest TB2 SSD I could find as the 2011 iMac USB ports are 2.0 - half the speed of Firewire which I already knew was sluggish as a boot drive.

It works great - feels faster than the original HDD - 285 MB/s Write, 385 MB/s Read, nowhere near the "up to" 440 MB/s quoted speed of the Transcend SSD, but certainly good enough for streaming and surfing.

There is one problem though; on startup, the SSD is not detected, the machine chunters away at the corrupted int HDD for a while and then displays the unknown folder icon. I think this is (maybe?) because the SSD is bus powered and....?

Anyhoo, the workaround I found is to unplug / plug the SSD TB2 cable after I power up the iMac - the SSD comes to life and the machine boots quite snappily. I cannot find any solution to completely disable the cratered internal HDD so that the OS ignores it, nor any fix for the undetected SSD on startup.

Blondie88

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2019
I want to go ahead and buy an external SSD to use as a boot for my new 2019 iMac, but I'm a little concerned about this Mojave compatibility thing.... is anyone using Mojave on an external SSD boot now with no problems?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
So do you think the issue is gone now? you sound a little like you think the problems could continue?

Was never really any issues for me actually. So whatever issues others have been having, I've not had, thus I can't speak to whether said issues persist, only that it's been a fine experience back when I did it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Counting Steps wrote in #83 above:
"I'm currently running High Sierra, but am a little concerned about the comments regarding problems when updating to Mojave due to APFS. Is there any answer to this now, or can changing to APFS be bypassed when updating?"

You didn't tell us:
- what KIND of drive is inside the 2015 iMac (fusion or other?)?
- what format it's currently in? (HFS+?)

If you're going to boot and run from an EXTERNAL SSD, I suggest you just "clone over" your current OS install using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (either are free to download and use for 30 days -- this method costs you $0).
Simple and easy (probably the fastest way to do it, as well).

If you are currently using High Sierra and your internal drive is HFS+...
And IF you are happy with the OS install (i.e., no software problems) as it is...
THEN my recommendation is to stay with High Sierra for now, until Mojave becomes a "more mature" OS.

I always "stay back" an OS release or two.
The older versions just run better for me.
Resurrecting this thread. So I have a 2017 21.5" iMac with a spinner drive, running Mojave. The speed is atrocious. I just purchased a Samsung T5 500GB drive. I plan on using CCC to copy the spinner drive to the SSD. I just want to verify that I will be doing this right. Is it just as simple as formatting the SSD and using CCC? Because I'm on Mojave, I'm assuming I need to use APFS, or will HFS+ work?

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: nemoryoliver

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
Resurrecting this thread. So I have a 2017 21.5" iMac with a spinner drive, running Mojave. The speed is atrocious. I just purchased a Samsung T5 500GB drive. I plan on using CCC to copy the spinner drive to the SSD. I just want to verify that I will be doing this right. Is it just as simple as formatting the SSD and using CCC? Because I'm on Mojave, I'm assuming I need to use APFS, or will HFS+ work?

Thank you for your help!
Keep us updated about the overall performance from the T5 upgrade over the spinning drive. App Open times, speed on exporting videos maybe or copy and pasting files, boot up speed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which is the right format to use.

nemoryoliver

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
Philippines
Hey folks!

Great thread!

First post here... I’m a fan off SSDs and have been using them in my (now ancient) iMacs. I am ready to pony up for a new 2019 iMac, but am not wanting to shell out what they ask for SSDs inside. I’m not afraid to install SSDs inside the machine, but figure I can wait until my warranty expires, so....

Just had to recycle my 2003 (!) iMac, and pulled out the Crucial MX100 512GB internal SSD that I installed - (forgot how easy it was to do back then!!) which made it run like a prince - and I’m wondering about this:

I have a 2008 iMac now running El Capitain, which I will keep for music studio work (it has a 1TB internal SSD). There is very little on the old Crucial right now - Snow Leopard, some photos etc. I’m considering pulling off whatever is useful onto my 2008 iMac, and then setting it up as a boot disc for a new iMac.

I could then buy a baseline 21.5” 2019 3.6Ghz iMac (8gb RAM, 1TB HDD) and put the Crucial in an enclosure for now, then after the warranty expires go in for internal installation of SSD (and likely RAM at that point).

I’ve never used an enclosure, as I’ve always installed internally, so I’d love your advice about that (and the proper cable to use), and more generally, if this is just a dumb idea...! Just hate forking over more than necessary - and also have equipment on hand that could be of use, I imagine....?

Many thanks in advance!
Hi there! Did you purchase the 2019 iMac already? If so, how did the SSD Upgrade go? How is the performance of your SATA SSD?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Keep us updated about the overall performance from the T5 upgrade over the spinning drive. App Open times, speed on exporting videos maybe or copy and pasting files, boot up speed. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which is the right format to use.
Got the SSD yesterday and set it up. CCC would not work. It kept crashing at 13.77GB. I tried three times. I kept the drive as HSF+ and my iMac was APFS, so I wonder if that was causing the issue. I said screw it and used my time machine backup to set up the SSD, but it converted it to APFS.

I am getting about 490MBps Write, 530MBps Read Speeds. my iMac with the 5400 spinner was getting about 60-70MBps Write/Read before.

Start-up time from button to login screen on the spinner was 1 minute 31 seconds. From Login to fully loaded was 1 minute and 2 seconds. For a total of 2 minutes 33 seconds. Now, button to login screen is 50 seconds, and login to fully loaded is 4 seconds, for a total boot time of 54 seconds. Almost 3x faster on login.

Application launch is instant. iTunes would usually bounce 5-6 times before opening, it now opens within one bounce. Same goes for Safari. MSFT Word usually bounced for about 15 seconds before opening, now it's within 3 seconds.

I am contributing the APFS to the slower than usual boot up time from button to login. I have the issue where it hangs on a black screen for about 15 seconds. But overall, I am so incredibly happy with it. Best $80 dollars I have spent. My machine has new life.

mcfraga

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2019
Ok I finally took my time, and changed the external case to a 3.1 gen 2 (faster) by the USB C port. My setting is EXTERNAL SSD 250 GBS bootable 10.14, my internal 1TB HDD (AFPS more made VOLUMES better than PARTITIONS seems so) so one can clone my external SSD and keep it bootable with CCC and the other VOLUME of HDD with data, big librarys and so on. All of it also makes itself a copy to my 3TB TC via Time machine.

Question: ¿Is this a nice setup for backup and security?) should I use one more backup for the SSD portion in case??

thanks in advance, but information is important, even for a home computer, and prefer always being SAFE than SORRY.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
mcfraga -

You back up a computer running from an external SSD pretty much as you would back up any other Mac.

Only now, you have to back up the external drive, too.

That means... get another drive, or backup to a partition on your backup drive.

Giovibox

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
Hey

I have a late 2015 27" iMac. Since i think it's terribly slow with the fusion drive , i put a new Samsung T5 hooked up via USB 3 to it and booting from it.

However , the iMac regularly freezes with that , and the only thing i can do is hit the Power Button . This only happens with the Samsung T5. The File System is APFS.

Any clue what this can be ? or what i can do about that ?
Thanks in advance .

I have the same problem with Mojave.
After some investigation, I found that my Mac freeze when the RAM is full. At this point, the Mac tries to use the Virtual Memory (swap) but it do not work.
I solved the problem by increasing the RAM.
In any case I see in different forum that a lot of people have this kind of problem ....

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
On my 2017 5k iMac I’m using an external U32 Shadow Dura 1TB USB-C (3.1 Gen 2) Rugged Portable SSD.
I reformatted it (can’t remember to what) and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal start-up disk to the new SSD.
Everything works fine.
Only drawback I find is initial computer start-up seems a little long. On the other hand I rarely shut it down.
[doublepost=1568372528][/doublepost]
I want to go ahead and buy an external SSD to use as a boot for my new 2019 iMac, but I'm a little concerned about this Mojave compatibility thing.... is anyone using Mojave on an external SSD boot now with no problems?

‘I am. No issues.

Katboy645

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2019
So once you set up your external SSD as your new boot drive, what do you do with your IMac internal hard drive? Does it become just a storage Drive? Can you format it? Or does it have to have an operating system on it to remain viable integrated hard drive?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
So once you set up your external SSD as your new boot drive, what do you do with your IMac internal hard drive? Does it become just a storage Drive? Can you format it? Or does it have to have an operating system on it to remain viable integrated hard drive?
Mine is solely used for storage. No OS installed.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
katboy asked:
"So once you set up your external SSD as your new boot drive, what do you do with your IMac internal hard drive? Does it become just a storage Drive? Can you format it? Or does it have to have an operating system on it to remain viable integrated hard drive?"

You should keep a bootable-to-the-finder copy of the OS on it (and whatever else you wish).

You always always ALWAYS want to have "a second bootable copy" of the Mac OS quickly available at all times.

How are you going to get booted and running if the external SSD boot drive suddenly won't boot...?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
How are you going to get booted and running if the external SSD boot drive suddenly won't boot...?

With Internet Recovery, or one of the 6 thumb drives I have lying around with various versions of macOS and Linux.... That's how I do it anyway. Or from one of my other Macs' install through a Thunderbolt cable and Target Disk Mode

Reactions: Mlrollin91

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
casperes wrote:
"With Internet Recovery, or one of the 6 thumb drives I have lying around with various versions of macOS and Linux.... That's how I do it anyway. Or from one of my other Macs' install through a Thunderbolt cable and Target Disk Mode"

Sounds good, but a question:
How many of those will boot TO THE FINDER ...?

DerwDerw

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2020
Hi there! First time poster here. But was inspired!! After three days struggling with Apple support and a rather unhelpful Authorised Apple Dealer...have learned more in this thread in the last 20 minutes!

So basically am a freelance video editor so speed is important and have a 27” 2017 iMac with a 2TB fusion HDD (and 120GB SSD) which is getting slower and slower... And running on the latest Mojave.

After being told it would £750+ to upgrade my internal drive to an SSD I looked into external...and this seems to be the way to go!

Although pretty new to this so just wanted to check steps as can’t afford to be without my iMac next week when I have a bunch of scary editing deadlines!

so to clarify, this is what I think I’ve learned from the above:

1. get an external ssd (samsung x5)
2. Go into recovery mode and format it into HSF+
3. Then install Mojave onto in recovery mode? Whilst trying to boot with it?
4. Then download carbon copy and copy my (roughly 750Gb of data on my fusion drive) to it
5. Then boot off the ssd
6. Then partition the fusion drive to two 1tbs?
7. Use 1tb as optional back up space and then use 1tb as a carbon copy clone of the ssd which will be bootable?
8. Then always time machine everything as backups
9. Bish bash bosh...quicker iMac?

hopefully this is correct but just wanted to run it by you Pros first! And if it's right, I’ll do it and report back all progress and speed tests! And hopefully that’ll help the next me who comes across this thead!

really appreciate the help! Thank you!! :)

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
A customer with a dead imac containing his 2tb sata ssd bought a new 2019 imac with 1tb fusion drive. I did not want to open a brand new machine under warranty, even though i have done many disk swaps on 2013 etc thin imacs. Since he has TB3 ports, I put his SSD in a USB3.1gen housing from ebay and connected it via the TB3 port, and booted off the external. Speeds were nearly 500mb/s which is faster than the sustained fusion drive speeds (when the spinner kicks in) . No problems really , but I had to update his external to 10.14.6 and that converted it to apfs. I suppose the boot was slower than i expected but once your in its great . The housing was only about $20au . also, i did not think to check the status of trim, ill do that next time.
So in summary I dont think there is any advantage to opening up the imac (a TB3 model) unless the internal fails, or you are going to fit an nvme ssd via adapter directly to the motherboard. Now that would be faster...

ubar

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Hi all,

I too want to try this option. Forgive me, treat me like I know n-o-t-h-i-n-g and you won't go far wrong! I just want to check something. I can't upgrade my iMac to Catalina because of the hardware (see specs below). If I use an external SSD as a boot drive the hardware in my iMac is no longer an issue, correct? Processor won't interfere with anything? I believe it's the processor which prevents me from upgrading this iMac.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 12 GB

I have a feeling that it can't possibly be as simple as booting from an external drive, but only because using an external drive will be about £1,800 cheaper (depending on which one I buy) than the iMac spec I've been eyeing up; seems too good to be true.

Is there anything in particular that I need to look for in the external drive? Any little gizmo (CPU, if that's the correct term?) that it needs to have for my money-saving scheme to work?

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
so to clarify, this is what I think I’ve learned from the above:

1. get an external ssd (samsung x5)
2. Go into recovery mode and format it into HSF+
3. Then install Mojave onto in recovery mode? Whilst trying to boot with it?
4. Then download carbon copy and copy my (roughly 750Gb of data on my fusion drive) to it
5. Then boot off the ssd
6. Then partition the fusion drive to two 1tbs?
7. Use 1tb as optional back up space and then use 1tb as a carbon copy clone of the ssd which will be bootable?
8. Then always time machine everything as backups
9. Bish bash bosh...quicker iMac?

hopefully this is correct but just wanted to run it by you Pros first! And if it's right, I’ll do it and report back all progress and speed tests! And hopefully that’ll help the next me who comes across this thead!

really appreciate the help! Thank you!! :)

Mostly correct. Your 2TB Fusion drive is really a single 2TB standard HDD and a small SSD that are merged in software. So you could I merge them and have a uselessly small SSD and a dumb hard drive. Personally I would just leave them as a Fusion Drive and use it for data that doesn’t need a lot of performance. Like music and photos for example.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
Hi all,

I too want to try this option. Forgive me, treat me like I know n-o-t-h-i-n-g and you won't go far wrong! I just want to check something. I can't upgrade my iMac to Catalina because of the hardware (see specs below). If I use an external SSD as a boot drive the hardware in my iMac is no longer an issue, correct? Processor won't interfere with anything? I believe it's the processor which prevents me from upgrading this iMac.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 12 GB

I have a feeling that it can't possibly be as simple as booting from an external drive, but only because using an external drive will be about £1,800 cheaper (depending on which one I buy) than the iMac spec I've been eyeing up; seems too good to be true.

Is there anything in particular that I need to look for in the external drive? Any little gizmo (CPU, if that's the correct term?) that it needs to have for my money-saving scheme to work?
No. The CPU is unrelated to the hard drive and booting externally doesn’t change it. If your iMac doesn’t support Catalina that doesn’t change with an external SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.