Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia
Hi,

I have a new 2017 iMac 27" 5K 3.5Ghz 1TB Fusion drive. I added a 500GB M.2 SSD in a USB-C to USB-C External Housing as the the boot drive. It's certainly made a difference in performance.

However, the Fusion Drive has a Windows 10 partition (Boot Camp) and 750GB of free space.

I am just wondering if it's possible to use that 750GB for Time Machine backups?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited:

Skeptical.me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Australia

Straight and to the point, I like that ;-)

I'm having an issue, my QNAP NAS is able to handle Time Machine backups but since using the external SSD as the boot drive , when setting up Time Machine in System Preferences the QNAP Time Machine isn't being recognized.

I've gone over every step of the QNAP manual 3 times to make sure I've set it up properly, and still system preferences > time machine won't recognize it.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Different issue completely.

I use the WD MyCloud Mirror these days. Although a NAS through Ethernet, Time Machine is one of its default settings.

If you can see the QNAP in your drives list, you should be able to map to it from TimeMachine Preferences through Add or Remove Backup Disk... You were able to do it before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.