Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I recently acquired a 2017 iMac 5K that came with a 2TB Fusion Drive. In an attempt to resolve some of the issues I was seeing, I 'broke' the Fusion Drive into a 128GB SSD and a conventional 2TB hard drive. So at present I'm booting off of the internal SSD, but the (obvious) problem is that it's rather small. In an effort to avoid taking the iMac apart to upgrade the storage, I bought a Crucial X9 Pro 1TB USB SSD. It works fine as a storage device UNTIL you try to reboot with the external drive plugged in. About 75% of the time on restart, the iMac just hangs at the Apple logo and never boots up. If you unplug the external drive, you can then boot it up the Mac just fine and re-attach the USB SSD.

This isn't the end of the world, but it's damn annoying. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be, or suggestions for troubleshooting?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
A Fishrrman "dumb question":

Did you go to the startup disk preference pane, and set the 128gb SSD to be the boot drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.