Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
wondering if anyone has experience and would recommend or not upgrading to Monterey. With enough updates, I assume it's stable, bugs worked out even for older machines. I'm impatiently waiting for the new iMacs to come as 27" (maybe announced during the spring event...please...please...please...) - but until then, any issues upgrading.

Rest of my machine's specs:
4.2 quad core i7
64 GB RAM
8GB graphics
3T fusion drive (with 600GB avail)

It's running fine so I'm inclined not to upgrade, tbh. Other than the annoying notifications to upgrade, so just wondering others' experiences. I use it mostly for editing RAW photos in the adobe suite (which is getting slower and slower as adobe creative suite keeps upgrading) other than basic MS products, apple's pages/numbers, and web browsing/gmail.

Polling the audience - upgrade: yay or nay?!

Thanks!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I can't speak for your iMac but it went smooth with my 24" M1 model. I waited till a few weeks ago because I heard there was some bugs but I'm guessing those have been patched by now.

Why do you want to upgrade? That would be my question. Other than copying text in photos and that note thing in the bottom right corner I don't much difference.

Maybe March 8th will bring us larger iMacs! ❤️

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Pretty much the same iMac my wife had and it ran Monterey fine. She got a new M1 iMac and we gave the 27” to our son.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Wrong forum. I have Monterey on the 2017 iMac w/Fusion drive and it's fine however I don't run any Adobe CC applications on it.

happydude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
Thanks all. Not going to upgrade at this point as adobe CC, while slow, is still chugging away for us and I don't want to bog anything down. no need to upgrade, so why risk it. within a year or two going to need a new machine, just hope this workhorse hangs in there a bit longer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.