Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minipudding

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2019
Scandinavia
I have the latest iteration of the 2017 13" MBA, running macOS 10.12.latest, and I have an annoying problem with the fan.

Every time the fan starts up it will stay running, forever, and never throttle down to lower RPM, not even after sitting idle for half an hour with no CPU/GPU load whatsoever. The only thing that works is to restart the MacBook or put it to sleep and wake it up again. It doesn't matter what triggers the fan (CPU or GPU intensive), though for some reason almost every time the problem shows up is when I'm browsing something with Safari, even if it's "harmless" content with no obvious buttload of hungry javascript.

I've tried resetting the SMC, and every time this happens I also take a quick look for suspicious CPU load in the activity monitor (or using top) but there's never anything hungry going on that should warrant the fan to keep going indefinitely. There's no obvious thermal problem either - the laptop always runs completely cool to the touch and the fan rarely spins up (but when it does...)

Ruskes

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2019
I have the latest iteration of the 2017 13" MBA, running macOS 10.12.latest, and I have an annoying problem with the fan.

Every time the fan starts up it will stay running, forever, and never throttle down to lower RPM, not even after sitting idle for half an hour with no CPU/GPU load whatsoever. The only thing that works is to restart the MacBook or put it to sleep and wake it up again. It doesn't matter what triggers the fan (CPU or GPU intensive), though for some reason almost every time the problem shows up is when I'm browsing something with Safari, even if it's "harmless" content with no obvious buttload of hungry javascript.

I've tried resetting the SMC, and every time this happens I also take a quick look for suspicious CPU load in the activity monitor (or using top) but there's never anything hungry going on that should warrant the fan to keep going indefinitely. There's no obvious thermal problem either - the laptop always runs completely cool to the touch and the fan rarely spins up (but when it does...)

Hi
you need to do a Verified SMC reset.
When you are doing it watch the charger light briefly flicker indicating successful reset.
Bad news.. SMC gets its inputs from system sensors (Temperature) and others, so if one is bad it will need Apple service to fix it

Reactions: niteflyr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.