Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brinary001

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
I have a fairly new MacBook Pro (couple months old) and lately I've noticed the battery begins draining immensely when out and about after I leave home, which is pretty much the only time it's away from it's charging dock. Sometime later on in the day when I pull out my computer from my bag, it's quite warm and there's processes running like crazy. Take a look below at some screen grabs I took shortly after opening my MacBook Pro for the first time one day:

upload_2018-4-22_20-20-5.png

upload_2018-4-22_20-20-22.png

upload_2018-4-22_20-20-36.png

Temperatures reach about 150 degrees and stay there indefinitely despite maybe only a few apps open, most of which are fairly light. Memory consumption also is quite high given the aforementioned use case as well as raw processing power.

I'm IT/CS so feel free to talk nerdy to me, I just wish I knew more about Mac and Unix to know what all is happening here. This community has always been quite helpful and knowledgeable with stuff like this so I wanted to run it by you guys first. Let me know your thoughts (even if it's dumb user error!). I may be in the industry but I still don't know everything there is to know :)

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.