Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milygal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2018
so my macbook took a fall (about 1 ft) to my hard concrete tile at my house. it has a incase case and there is no physical damage to it. ive been using it for a day and everything works fine.

ive had a 2012 pro in the past which i know it could have probably been okay with that fall just cause it was so thick and bulky, but i just wanted to know if there could be anything wrong with it? im trying to make sure that i keep an eye out for any possible problems i may start having.

let me know
thanks

UPDATE:
So (to my knowledge) I was very lucky. i dont suspect that there is anything wrong after a couple days use after "the fall". The only thing that makes me hella paranoid is when the fan gets hella loud after i put my CPU to work with using Pixlr on safari. But other than that, thanks to everyone who responded!!!

Last edited:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
i just wanted to know if there could be anything wrong with it?
As other poster said, there's not many moving parts inside - spinning harddrives are by far the most fragile thing in a computer, even more so than an LCD screen.

Take the laptop out of its casing and put it on a flat surface. Look for dents, and make sure the chassis hasn't become crooked by the impact, and that all four feet sit levelly on the surface. If it has, maybe you can gently flex it back into shape again. Is the screen hinge still smooth and tight? Display intact? Touchpad working properly? USB/thunderbolt ports in good order? No rattling of anything loose inside if you shake the laptop...?

If everything checks out, then grats. You were lucky! :D

Reactions: milygal

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
One time I fell asleep with my 2014 MacBook Air, woke up scared from a nightmare and threw it straight to the ground.

No visual damage, but within the next two hours the screen was all messed up with artifacts witha Grade B- effort at simulating demonic possession.

So I went to Apple (not mentioning I had dropped it), and since there was no visual damage, they repaired it for free (turns out some flex cable or part that connects to the display had been damaged, I think).

So long story short, yes, it may have been damaged, and if there is no physical damage, chances are Apple will repair it for free. You should know within the next couple of days if something has broken.

Reactions: milygal
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.