Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebfrey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2007
Aptos, CA
I just thought I'd share with you my experience with the new 2018 MacBook Pro 13" compared to my 2017 MacBook.

I did not like my 2017 MacBook. The keyboard *sucked*. It's every bit as bad as they say, and then some. It was really underpowered. I got it because it was lightweight and fanless, and the screen was, for sure, beautiful. But then a couple of weeks ago, it started having problems finding the hard disk, it would crash and a blinking question mark / folder icon would pop up and no amount of Disk Utility and fsck would fix it. So off to the Apple Store to get a new MacBook.

I spent about a week researching it, and settled on the MacBook Pro 13". Mine has 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 665 and an Intel Core i7 @ 2.7 Ghz.

For me, the magic is back. It's very fast. I haven't benchmarked it, because I don't care about benchmarks. The screen is great, keyboard feels totally fine to me, maybe not the greatest keyboard in the world, but miles better than the travesty that was my MacBook 2017. I'm actually even getting to like the touchbar a bit, but don't tell anyone.

Downsides are that battery life is mediocre, especially when the CPUs get cranking. And when the CPUs crank, the fan cranks up really loud too - especially when I first got it and it was downloading all my Photos and Dropbox and indexing all that stuff.

Yeah and it cost $2,800 out the door, tax and everything, so it had better be awesome. But it definitely feels like it's a Mercedes, not a Kia. You get what you pay for I guess.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017
I just thought I'd share with you my experience with the new 2018 MacBook Pro 13" compared to my 2017 MacBook.

I did not like my 2017 MacBook. The keyboard *sucked*. It's every bit as bad as they say, and then some. It was really underpowered. I got it because it was lightweight and fanless, and the screen was, for sure, beautiful. But then a couple of weeks ago, it started having problems finding the hard disk, it would crash and a blinking question mark / folder icon would pop up and no amount of Disk Utility and fsck would fix it. So off to the Apple Store to get a new MacBook.

I spent about a week researching it, and settled on the MacBook Pro 13". Mine has 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 665 and an Intel Core i7 @ 2.7 Ghz.

For me, the magic is back. It's very fast. I haven't benchmarked it, because I don't care about benchmarks. The screen is great, keyboard feels totally fine to me, maybe not the greatest keyboard in the world, but miles better than the travesty that was my MacBook 2017. I'm actually even getting to like the touchbar a bit, but don't tell anyone.

Downsides are that battery life is mediocre, especially when the CPUs get cranking. And when the CPUs crank, the fan cranks up really loud too - especially when I first got it and it was downloading all my Photos and Dropbox and indexing all that stuff.

Yeah and it cost $2,800 out the door, tax and everything, so it had better be awesome. But it definitely feels like it's a Mercedes, not a Kia. You get what you pay for I guess.

Just thought I'd share. :)
I bought 13" 2018 16/256 and have not really used it becasue it's too small - it also feels slower than my 15" 2017.

Where can I sell it if it's just 5 months old and almost new?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.