Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

confusedrose19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2018
So, my 2017 12" macbook will not start up no matter what I try. Back in september I broke the screen so I replaced the entire top portion of the laptop myself. Now when I plug in the laptop gets extremely warm. I am using my dad's 61 W charger instead of the 29 W charger that came with the laptop while I wait for a replacement. It had been a long time since the laptop was plguued in or charged. When plugged in the computer makes no indication that the battery is receiving power besides the fact that the laptop gets extememly hot. I have tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM, but the laptop makes no noise nor does the screen make any indication of life. What do I do? I do not want to give up on this laptop yet because it is only a year old.

UPDATE: The laptop screen just turned on to the start up login screen so it is sowing signings of life. I tried the PRAM reset one more time and it worked, but now I have a new issue. The trackpad and keyboard are showing no response even though it is clear that the keyboard works because that is how I got the laptop to turn on. The battery says 0% and currently my only solution is to let it charge and to wait for something to happen.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
So, my 2017 12" macbook will not start up no matter what I try. Back in september I broke the screen so I replaced the entire top portion of the laptop myself. Now when I plug in the laptop gets extremely warm. I am using my dad's 61 W charger instead of the 29 W charger that came with the laptop while I wait for a replacement. It had been a long time since the laptop was plguued in or charged. When plugged in the computer makes no indication that the battery is receiving power besides the fact that the laptop gets extememly hot. I have tried resetting the SMC and the PRAM, but the laptop makes no noise nor does the screen make any indication of life. What do I do? I do not want to give up on this laptop yet because it is only a year old.

Not that I'm any expert, but the first part of your post kinda speaks volumes... I know that was 8 months ago, but who know's what broke loose in the interim.

Given it's current status you thought of removing the screen and reattaching it, just to see if something worked it's way lose (or worse, caused some sort of short)?

confusedrose19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2018
Not that I'm any expert, but the first part of your post kinda speaks volumes... I know that was 8 months ago, but who know's what broke loose in the interim.

Given it's current status you thought of removing the screen and reattaching it, just to see if something worked it's way lose (or worse, caused some sort of short)?

I went back in and checked to see if anything was loose and there is not. The only thing that was change side the laptop was the entire lid of the computer and the lcd cable to ensure not faulty equipment would be used. It was relatively a very simple replacement considered that these laptops aren't really meant to be opened up after assemmbly; all screws are back in place and all cables connceted. I had my dad take a look at it becuase he has been working on computers for 30 years and he can't figure it out either.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
I went back in and checked to see if anything was loose and there is not. The only thing that was change side the laptop was the entire lid of the computer and the lcd cable to ensure not faulty equipment would be used. It was relatively a very simple replacement considered that these laptops aren't really meant to be opened up after assemmbly; all screws are back in place and all cables connceted. I had my dad take a look at it becuase he has been working on computers for 30 years and he can't figure it out either.

Sadly, all it takes is for one tiny short and the motherboard's toast. Eons ago (in another time) I used to build computers for a side gig - I quickly learned the lesson about using spacers everywhere when I fried one too many motherboards when it bowed down and touched the case with one minor part of metal.

Not saying that is absolutely your issue, just that it is sadly a possibility given that your perform a self-repair on a laptop that does not like self-repair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.