Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VeryWells

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Hello All,
I hope someone can advise/reassure me please? As I am almost entirely technologically inept.

I'm going self-employed (PR and copywriting) and I'm thinking a MacBook Air 2017 would best suit my needs at the moment.

My plan - such as it is - is to hook it up to the old iMac I already have in order to have two screens. I could then have my emails/ project briefs open on the macbook and use the larger iMac screen for typing/searching the web etc. while I'm at my desk.

I want to make sure the two things are compatible before I take the plunge!
I am under the impression that I would simply be able to connect them via a thunderbolt cable and use something called Target Display Mode??

This is the MBA I am looking to buy: https://www.johnlewis.com/2017-appl...core-i5-8gb-ram-128gb-pcie-based-ssd/p3081001

and my current outdated iMac is the Late 2012 21.5 inch model.
I would appreciate confirmation that I'm right, or an explanation of why this wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance!!

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Thank you - I thought so, but I wasn't sure about the size.
It looks as though both 21.5 and 27inch models between 2011 and 2014 are supported. (I'm interpreting it this way because they don't mention a particular size)
Would you agree?

Yes that's how I saw it too.

Reactions: VeryWells
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.