Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nameste

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Hello, i got my device 2 days ago and tried both high sierra and sierra the heat feels higher than it should be .the ambient temperature is around 22-23c .I checked with coconut battery the battery idles around 30c ,CPU around 45-50c when I run heaven benchmark the gpu reaches 85c and the fans doesn't ramp up to full speed .Do you think is this normal?

nameste

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2016
Reactions: PortableLover

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hello, i got my device 2 days ago and tried both high sierra and sierra the heat feels higher than it should be .the ambient temperature is around 22-23c .I checked with coconut battery the battery idles around 30c ,CPU around 45-50c when I run heaven benchmark the gpu reaches 85c and the fans doesn't ramp up to full speed .Do you think is this normal?

Totally normal.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
My 2012 quad-core Mac Mini routinely reaches 100° C, my 2009 15" MBP is at 80° C when it's at a very light load (but, tbh, even some web browsing might be more than "light use" for such an old notebook).

Intel specifies thermal design properties for all of their chips, and most of them won't care as long as they don't reach more than 105° C.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
My 2017 MacBook Pro 2017 nTB hits 100C within 3 minutes of video transcoding .. my 2015 MacBook pro didn't do that

DPLqTEiX0AEmi-f.png:large

I'm obviously not happy. It's supposed to be a "pro" laptop from 2017.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
My 2017 MacBook Pro 2017 nTB hits 100C within 3 minutes of video transcoding .. my 2015 MacBook pro didn't do that

DPLqTEiX0AEmi-f.png:large

I'm obviously not happy. It's supposed to be a "pro" laptop from 2017.

I don't get the problem. As long as the surface of the notebook is not uncomfortably hot, why shouldn't the CPU run at a temperature it can comfortably run at? Also, there is no thermal throttling on the current MacBook Pros, they just can't hold the maximum possible turbo frequency forever (the TouchBar-model obviously fares better here with it's two fans) - which is totally normal and the case with just about any notebook using Intel's 15W CPUs.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yesterday my 2017 13 MBP hit CPU core temps of 102 degrees C from transcoding a 3 minute video!

Why wouldn't it? The CPU is designed to operate under these temperatures, so the cooling system is designed appropriately.

P.S. I'm quite sure its 100C and not 102C, maybe your readout is malfunctioning.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
Why wouldn't it? The CPU is designed to operate under these temperatures, so the cooling system is designed appropriately.

P.S. I'm quite sure its 100C and not 102C, maybe your readout is malfunctioning.

Because 100 is teh maximum according to Intel themselves. https://ark.intel.com/products/97535/Intel-Core-i5-7360U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

To get this hot for small tasks is bad.
To try to run for any developer or "pro" workloads for hours is going to damage the laptop and reduce its life.
My screen was damaged by heat due to the heat in clamshell mode.

My 2016 MBP had none of these issues and could run jobs for hours .. as you would expect from a pro laptop.

It's not supposed to be an email machine.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
Because 100 is teh maximum according to Intel themselves. https://ark.intel.com/products/97535/Intel-Core-i5-7360U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz

To try to run for any developer or "pro" workloads for hours is going to damage the laptop and reduce its life.
My screen was damaged by heat due to the heat in clamshell mode.

My 2016 MBP had none of these issues and could run jobs for hours .. as you would expect from a pro laptop.

It's not supposed to be an email machine.

I'm running my Mac Mini for more than five years now with the CPU reaching 105° C a lot of the time - no problems yet. Also, converting a video is not a "small task", it's certainly a task that can utilize the full power of the CPU. Obviously Apple could down clock it - and reduce the power of the notebook while doing so - but why should they? 100° is fine.

Can't comment on the heat damaging the display - never had that happen and it's the first time I hear this. This would be bad obviously. But if heat bothers you that much, why didn't you get the tb MBP with it's much higher thermal capacity?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

100C is the maximal safe operating temperature of the CPU, according to its manufacturer. So the cooling system keeps the CPU within its design parameters. Again, I don't understand what you are complaining about.

Its not a "small task" — its a task that pushes the CPU to its computational limit. You'd be hard pressed to find a real-world task that is more demanding than video transcoding.

Again, your computer operates within its thermal specification. There is no problem. You'd have a problem if its reaching 100C too quickly and would be throttling as a result, but its not something that we are observing. Laptop getting hot to touch when watching videos etc. is perfectly normal.

P.S. Yes, I've read your very elaborate experience thread. What I gathered from it is that you experienced display issues and got the display replaced under warranty. What I also gathered is that you were stressing out looking for signs of "overheating" (hint: 60-70 degrees while watching video is not "overheating") and that you seemed to annoy a bunch of very patient people from Apple support.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2017
P.S. Yes, I've read your very elaborate experience thread. What I gathered from it is that you experienced display issues and got the display replaced under warranty. What I also gathered is that you were stressing out looking for signs of "overheating" (hint: 60-70 degrees while watching video is not "overheating") and that you seemed to annoy a bunch of very patient people from Apple support.

If I didn't know better I might suspect this post to be written by agencies paid by Apple to counter narratives that threaten Apple.

Weelious225

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
I personally think Apple messed up the thermal design of the 2016/2017 MacBook pros.

Here is my experience, with actual evidence. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-macbook-pro-13-non-tb-review.2056971/

Yesterday my 2017 13 MBP hit CPU core temps of 102 degrees C from transcoding a 3 minute video!
I've been following your post for the past couple weeks and the issues you're having are completely unacceptable. However, they only seem to be an issue with the base model that has a single fan. By all accounts the Touch Bar models (13" and 15") have excellent thermals compared to last generation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.