Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kturnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2020
A little over a year ago, I sent my MacBook in for an in-warranty repair after I noticed an orange spot on my display.

0468304A-7E65-44C4-898B-231372093CEA.jpeg

After this replacement, things went fine for the better part of a year, until back in March I noticed I had a similar problem. This time there was an orange hue around the edges of the display, perhaps most noticeable on uniform backgrounds like John Gruber's site:

IMG_0500.jpeg

It's certainly not the end of the world, but now that I'm out of warranty (and I didn't buy Apple care) I would have to shell out around $700 for a display replacement. I'm considering doing so, but I don't want to shell out for it if the same thing is going to happen in a year. Has anyone experienced similar issues? Does anyone have an idea what might be the cause so that I may avoid it in the future if I do pay for a fix now? I only have a year left of undergrad so presumably thats as long as I'll really be needing a computer this powerful for daily personal use, but it would suck to pay $700 only to have the issue reappear (as it has already reappeared once after a replacement).

Thanks in advance!

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Wow, what are the odds! There might be some other component in your MBP that causes this.
Once you get the display replaced, don't you get a year warranty?

kturnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Wow, what are the odds! There might be some other component in your MBP that causes this.
Once you get the display replaced, don't you get a year warranty?

A repair only comes with a 90 day warranty unfortunately :(

sdp77

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2019
Oh, that sucks.
Maybe, at this point, you might want to consider getting a new one. Apply for the Apple Card and you get 12 months no interest, you won't even know you paid for it.

kturnt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2020
Do you use your MBP in clamshell mode? The upper part of top case get very hot and that could be the cause.

Not at all really, but now that you mentioned it I may have closed it in a hurry after doing a big Xcode build where my fans were kicking up a storm :/ In that case I may just go for the repair and be more mindful of that in the future.

kailismith

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2021
This problem has come up with thousands of Mac book pro's, mine being one of them. Hopefully Apple will do the right thing and do a recall, but likely they'll just stick their head in the sand and act like it's the owners fault....

Reactions: sporz

sporz

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Brighton, England
Same problem for me. But it seems to get a random intensity on different days. I got an appointment with the Genius Bar, they check the hardware and said that everything is ok. Being out of warranty and not having the Apple Care They ask me to pay £700 to replace the screen, but I saw on the interned that people experienced the same issue even after they had the screen replaced. I'm sure, as someone else said, that Apple is aware of the issue but they are not acting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.