Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
This laptop (2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9, 32GB, 1TB SSD, 15" display) has been a faithful and well-traveled servant for going on six years now. But in the past couple of days it has not been charging when in use. I've tried several different chargers, all known-good, and the behavior is identical for each: If I use the machine, it gradually discharges even when plugged-in. It will eventually charge if I shut it, but then the cycle repeats next time I use the machine.

Battery health is shown as "normal" at 581 cycles in the System Report. I've followed iFixit's instructions for resetting the parameter RAM etc for this T2-equipped machine; no change.

Any suggestions? I'd love to get a couple more years out of it.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Does “shut it” mean close the display or turn it off?
Yes, close the display. That sleeps the machine, and it will charge. So I can use it in brief spurts.

At the moment I'm using it on just the battery, and (1) it's running down quickly (with nothing suspicious showing in Activity Monitor), and (2) it says it is connected to the charger! It's not.

I'm fearing this lovely machine may be reaching the end of its road...

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yes, close the display. That sleeps the machine, and it will charge. So I can use it in brief spurts.

At the moment I'm using it on just the battery, and (1) it's running down quickly (with nothing suspicious showing in Activity Monitor), and (2) it says it is connected to the charger! It's not.

I'm fearing this lovely machine may be reaching the end of its road...
Did you do an SMC reset or just an NVRAM reset? It’s not impossible that the battery (or other hardware) is just failing at this point.

tamara6

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2004
Have you tried changing the USB charging cable? Mine was displaying odd behavior (only charging in some ports, sometimes not charging at all) until I bought a new cable, and now all is well again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.