Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
Hi there!

For some mystical reasons my $4k MBP has died a few days ago. I have been very gentle to this beast and mostly used it as a desktop. Apple Authorized Service diagnosed "logical board" failure and suggested a replacement. No possible cause was given, but a quote of $1K for a replacement.

I'm disappointed to say the least.

What do you think, should I bring it to a third party service(like one by Louis Rossman) or should I pay for a replacement to the official Apple Service?

UPD: Apple has decided to spare me this time. Laptop has been fixed free of charge and now has an extended warranty. Yay Apple!

Last edited:

Meowlicious

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
It's only 1 year of warranty where you live ? (USA i presume)
If its not (2y where i live) why should you pay for it if you didn't damaged it by your fault ?

Anyway, if you're not responsible for it's death, its weird :/

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
If its not (2y where i live) why should you pay for it if you didn't damaged it by your fault ?

If you're referring to the EU legal guarantee, it's not a 2 year warranty. All Apple products have a 1 year warranty unless you buy AppleCare.

EU law is basically the equivalent of UK consumer law where if a product fails after the 1 year OEM warranty it can be replaced if the failure was due to a manufacturing defect (e.g., Radeongate). Therefore the onus is on the user to prove this is the case unless there are sufficient widespread issues to indicate otherwise. If there are widespread issues, you can probably guarantee one of the following:

a) Apple would have released a repair program for it anyway, rendering any necessary action via consumer law redundant
b) MacRumors would have written a report on it and there'd be a class action lawsuit, so you can easily point to the report/lawsuit as evidence.

See: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial period is the 6 months after you bought your product:

Any fault that appears within 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge, or reimburse you if repair or replacement is impossible.

After 6 months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects up to the end of the two-year guarantee period. However, the seller can ask you to prove that the defect existed when your goods were delivered. This is often difficult, and you will may have to involve a technical expert.

Last edited:

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019

Bought in EU, however 2y doesn’t apply because it’s a company property. 2y works only for individuals.

Yeah this sucks. I think I’m not responsible, at least servicemen don’t tell me otherwise. No liquid damage, no physical damage.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
If you're referring to the EU legal guarantee, it's not a 2 year warranty. All Apple products have a 1 year warranty unless you buy AppleCare.

Yeah, people say that but in reality it's a warranty. I have never ever had Apple — or any other company for what its worth — demand any kind of "proof" or refuse a free repair within the 2 years period in the EU.

Yeah this sucks. I think I’m not responsible, at least servicemen don’t tell me otherwise. No liquid damage, no physical damage.

These things happen, unfortunately. Even high-end laptops have expected failure rates of over 10% within three years of ownership. Thats why I always get extended warranty. A 3 year warranty is usually about 5-10% of the computer original price, which gives you an idea how many computers are expected to fail during that time.

Reactions: green86

sub150

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2018
Bought in EU, however 2y doesn’t apply because it’s a company property. 2y works only for individuals.

If it's company property and you aren't at fault they should be fixing it out of their pocket. Their asset, their responsibility to insure it.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

Then why are you working hard on this? Shouldn't it be as simple as letting your IT department know so they can deal with it or you be given approval to order a new one? Either way, not your problem.

Well unless you own the company... Then it was on you to insure it if this is a big enough problem for you...

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
If it's company property and you aren't at fault they should be fixing it out of their pocket. Their asset, their responsibility to insure it.

Well unless you own the company... Then it was on you to insure it if this is a big enough problem for you...

Well, the "company" is owned by me. It's just a one man company.

I honestly didn't expect that a $4K laptop should die a month after guarantee expires for an unknown reason(most likely a defect from Apple design, like many of them). If that's the case, if there's such a big risk, why the hell that laptop didn't cost +$500 from the beginning?

Who would want to buy a high end laptop that could work for less than one year?

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA

I honestly didn't expect that a $4K laptop should die a month after guarantee expires for an unknown reason(most likely a defect from Apple design, like many of them). If that's the case, if there's such a big risk, why the hell that laptop didn't cost +$500 from the beginning?

That's the risk with everything.... You have to insure to the risk you're willing to take...

Does every MacBook Pro fail? No. Do some fail before the warranty is up? Yes. Do some fail after the warranty is up? Yes.

If you can't afford to self insure against that risk then you can snag Apple Care. This is exactly the reason this exists. Over the long-term Apple Care will make Apple money (meaning failures are rare), but there can be cases where you need it.

You can buy a $100K Mercedes-Benz S-Class and you'll still be just as upset if the far experiences an engine failure after the warranty ends. That's the reason warranties have an end date on them...

You can ask Apple for corporate goodwill, but that may or may not happen.

Reactions: green86 and chabig

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

EU law is basically the equivalent of UK consumer law where if a product fails after the 1 year OEM warranty it can be replaced if the failure was due to a manufacturing defect (e.g., Radeongate). Therefore the onus is on the user to prove this is the case unless there are sufficient widespread issues to indicate otherwise. If there are widespread issues, you can probably guarantee one of the following:

a) Apple would have released a repair program for it anyway, rendering any necessary action via consumer law redundant
b) MacRumors would have written a report on it and there'd be a class action lawsuit, so you can easily point to the report/lawsuit as evidence.

See: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

The legal guarantee covers any defects presumed to have existed at the time of delivery and which become apparent within a period of two years. However, the crucial period is the 6 months after you bought your product:

Any fault that appears within 6 months will be presumed to have existed at the time of delivery. The seller must then repair or replace your phone free of charge, or reimburse you if repair or replacement is impossible.

After 6 months, you can still hold the seller responsible for any defects up to the end of the two-year guarantee period. However, the seller can ask you to prove that the defect existed when your goods were delivered. This is often difficult, and you will may have to involve a technical expert.
in EU you are covered for 2 years if you buy it directly from Apple.
If you buy from a third party, you still have 2 years but during the second year you have to ask the seller for a repair.

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
If you can't afford to self insure against that risk then you can snag Apple Care.

Well, it just never occurred to me that Apple Care is bought for a case like I have now. I thought this is for a screen or other damage, which has never happened to me. Now I know why one needs Apple Care.

in EU you are covered for 2 years if you buy it directly from Apple.
If you buy from a third party, you still have 2 years but during the second year you have to ask the seller for a repair.

I bought directly from Apple as a company. Problem is that a company is not a consumer as per law you mention.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Well, it just never occurred to me that Apple Care is bought for a case like I have now. I thought this is for a screen or other damage, which has never happened to me. Now I know why one needs Apple Care.

Apple Care = 2 yr Extended Warranty (3 year total)
Apple Care+ = Apple Care + Accidental Damage Protection (3 year total)

Reactions: deadmbp

Meowlicious

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
In my opinion, For most cases I don’t know if it’s worth it to take apple care plan for the new MacBooks since apple products are quiet reliables. The most probable issue about to occur is another problem with butterfly keyboard, and apple is replacing the keyboards for the next 4 years.

Of course, everything could happen, and as we can see on the front page of this forum, some people have their 2018 mbp dead for to reason.

I’ve heard that apple is replacing the battery if it goes under 80% during the 2 years of apple care, which in this case, could be interesting considering the price of the batteries out of warranty

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

MacBooks usually last years.
But a defective unit could exist. You were just unlucky.

Reactions: green86 and chabig

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016

It sucks, but you knew it was a one year warranty and that you could have purchased the extended warranty right? If you don't purchase the extended warranty then the risk is your own.

I don't typically purchase them (extended warranties) either, it's a gamble. Sometimes you lose.

Reactions: chabig

Meowlicious

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019
It sucks, but you knew it was a one year warranty and that you could have purchased the extended warranty right? If you don't purchase the extended warranty then the risk is your own.

I don't typically purchase them (extended warranties) either, it's a gamble. Sometimes you lose.

I agree with you, but Indeed, it sucks for such technology (and price) being dead after 1 year. So I really understand the owner complain about that.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Good try, but that was a company visa debit card without benefits.
Then will your business pay to fix it?
[doublepost=1566434750][/doublepost]
In my opinion, For most cases I don’t know if it’s worth it to take apple care plan for the new MacBooks since apple products are quiet reliables. The most probable issue about to occur is another problem with butterfly keyboard, and apple is replacing the keyboards for the next 4 years.

Of course, everything could happen, and as we can see on the front page of this forum, some people have their 2018 mbp dead for to reason.

I’ve heard that apple is replacing the battery if it goes under 80% during the 2 years of apple care, which in this case, could be interesting considering the price of the batteries out of warranty
I buy it just for the peace of mind.

The cost is $360 US dollars (iirc). BUT—and this has happened to me—a replacement for user error or user damage (in my case, spilt coffee) costs an extra $300.00. Not sure what they call the fee, but Apple Care plus a no hassle fix costs $650 or $660.00 total.

citycentral821

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2019

If you get it from Costco, I think it is 2 years

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You own your own business... right?
And the MPB is a tool that is used in your business... right?

Then... can't you "write the repair cost off" as a business expense...?
(not sure how laws in the UK work)

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
OP:

You own your own business... right?
And the MPB is a tool that is used in your business... right?

Then... can't you "write the repair cost off" as a business expense...?
(not sure how laws in the UK work)

Good point, but it doesn't change the fact that I'll have to shell out a $1000.

deadmbp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2019
You are right. 24 months are just for consumers...
But why didn't you buy an AppleCare+ for such an expensive MBP ?

Look, it's very simple and based on my personal experience. I didn't have a habit for buying insurance for any kind of Apple equipment, because I didn't break in some silly way like coffee or dropping it. I also didn't have a single piece of apple hardware that would fail this quickly and permanently. This made me believe I don't need no insurance.

Apparently (almost) everyone on MacRumors buys Apple Care and I surprise everyone with my story. On the other hand there are people who still complain about faulty keyboards, GPUs, LCD cables and else that is a design defect. This is what my personal complaint is and this is what I'm trying to resolve.

LogicalApex

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2015
PA, USA
Look, it's very simple and based on my personal experience. I didn't have a habit for buying insurance for any kind of Apple equipment, because I didn't break in some silly way like coffee or dropping it. I also didn't have a single piece of apple hardware that would fail this quickly and permanently. This made me believe I don't need no insurance.

Apparently (almost) everyone on MacRumors buys Apple Care and I surprise everyone with my story. On the other hand there are people who still complain about faulty keyboards, GPUs, LCD cables and else that is a design defect. This is what my personal complaint is and this is what I'm trying to resolve.

I don't think everyone buys Apple Care. There are many valid reasons to skip Apple Care as it doesn't work out for purchasers in the long term as few machines will fail within the time period (which is how Apple makes profit off it). I don't know how many MBPs you've owned over the years, but if you added them all up you'd likely be on the winning end of value from Apple Care since you don't buy it.

That being said, I think it has a lot of value for businesses and users who are using their Apple devices for revenue generation (like contractors, etc). As for those people downtime is really important to minimize so being able to just drop it off to Apple and get it back is extremely valuable. You could upgrade, but that may be a workflow disruptive choice so it is important to have stability for a short period.

Since you had an out of warranty failure you feel like you've lost because the repair costs are more than Apple Care would have cost, but you could've easily ended up feeling just as the same if you purchased Apple Care and never used it and felt that the $300+ could have been better spent somewhere else.

There are no right or wrong answers. Just everyone taking different roads to get their destinations...

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.