Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
Hello,
I have a new 2018 iPad 9.7" coming in the next week or so, I just noticed that LifeProof doesn't make a 2018 iPad 9.7" Case, as far as waterproof cases go the only one I can find but isn't just Janky Chinese/Ali express specials Is Catalyst. I've never tried the Catalyst case but that may be an option if my plan doesnt work.

Anyway one thing I have noticed on a couple different reviews of this iPad many people complained that the 2018 iPad literally had the same body as the OG iPad Air.

If that is the case, then the fact lifeproof made a iPad air case may be a option.
A local shop in town has one in their clearance bin. so naturally I would want to buy this case as its about a 3rd the price of a catalyst case but the fact that it's clearance means if I buy if I can't return it.

and yes before anyone asks I do need a waterproof case of I plan on it replacing my old iPhone 6 Plus as my hottub Netflix machine (yes I realize this is the 1st world problem of first world problems lol )

so...
TLDR Version will a iPad Air case (in this case the lifeproof one) fit the 2018 iPad?

thanks

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
On the 2018 9.7 iPad the rear camera is in a slightly different position and the volume buttons have also been slightly repositioned. There’s also no silent switch on the 2018 iPad. Some cases will fit if the cutouts are large enough, but others won’t.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.