Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I applied the latest Mojave security update to my 2018 Mac mini last night and it took well over four hours before I finally power cycled it (I had to do this multiple times before it would even boot up again). This happened with the first security update of mojave as well, but the time frame was shorter (I think, I ended up going to bed after one power cycle). Both times the update applied and everything is working without issue, but I do hate power cycling the device in fear it will break the OS or firmware (especially with the T2 chip). This did not happen when I was upgrading point releases (ie 10.14.4 -> 10.14.5 and 10.14.5 -> 10.14.6, etc.). One thing to mention is I do apply all OS updates with my eGPU plugged in and being utilized, but it has never been an issue. I only bring it up is during the updates the eGPU's fan go crazy and the mini gets extremely hot (which why I do not like to leave my mini in that state for hours... four hours was definitely long enough for my taste). My 2014 Mac mini applied the same update in 15-20 minutes.

Has anyone else experienced long update times with their mini and mojave security updates? Any thoughts on how I could avoid this in the future?

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I just installed it here and it was one of the fastest security updates I've seen in a while. It was done so fast I actually thought it had failed it and checked the build number to confirm (which led me here).

Reactions: iAssimilated

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
Good to hear and thank you for the response!

I have a feeling it has something to do with my eGPU. Maybe the HDMI to DVI adapter I use (although it is Apple's official adapter) and it is connected to the back of the video card in the eGPU (not the mini).

Next update I am going to disconnect it, reboot, and then apply the update. If that doesn't help I am going to try disconnecting other peripherals. I kept thinking no one is going to wait this long for an update to apply on other systems with the T2 chip (MBP, MP, etc.). I had read in another thread (regarding the first security update) that someone's system with the T2 chip took a while to update compared to a non T2 chip system, so I didn't know for sure.

The funny thing is all the dot releases of Mojave updated wonderfully (and fairly quickly) with the eGPU connected. Oh well.

Flash SWT

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I've definitely read reports of issues on T2 computers, but we don't have any Minis at work so my home machine is my only direct comparison.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

I suggest you:
a. Power OFF
b. DISCONNECT EVERYTHING (including Egpu) except the keyboard and mouse
c. NOW try the update again.

Reactions: iAssimilated

iAssimilated

Contributor
Original poster
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I updated to the latest Mojave security update (18G4032) by doing:
  • Closed everything, shutdown.
  • Unplugged the eGPU, connected to HDMI port, booted.
  • Applied security update (went super fast and without issues), shutdown.
  • Unplugged HDMI, connected eGPU, booted.
The only weird thing is the system restarted three times before it finally booted to the login screen. Not sure why, but everything is working as it did before the update, so I am happy! Also, I am glad to know that it is probably the eGPU being connected while updating that caused the troubles I was seeing before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.