Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cruciarius

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
Massachusetts
I've made threads elsewhere on MacRumors asking about the Mac Mini about if I should invest in it or wait to see what the Mac Pro has to offer. Pretty much decided I should just get the Mac Mini. Question is though, my current desktop is a late 2014 iMac 5K with 32 GB RAM. Can't recall other specs, but can include those later.

With my iMac, and it's overheating issue, I can browse Twitch (a streaming site for gaming, creative content, talk shows, etc.). Sometimes I have up to 5 streams open at a time. Can the Mac Mini do this? The model I intend to get would be the 3.2GHz i7 with base RAM (will upgrade later myself) and likely up the internal storage to 512GB. With these specs, can I also use an Elgato HD60 to stream console gaming to Twitch? Something I used to do with the iMac, but with the issues it has now, running the streaming software causes near instant overheating forced sleep mode.

Eventually I would upgrade the Mac Mini RAM as well as get an eGPU, but for now I'm wanting to just get the basic Mini with upgraded processor and grab upgrades as I need them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.