Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctwentytwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Like the title says, my 2018 Macbook Air cannot capture a signature written on white paper via the camera using the Preview app (markup). The 2018 is a replacement for my 2011 11" i7, which can capture the signature just fine.

I tried different pens differing in line width, lighting, and so forth. Chatted with Apple support who suggested an NVRam reset. Then running in safe mode. None of which worked.

One thing I do notice is that the contrast is not auto adjusting on the 2018 as it is on the 2011.

Can 2018 Macbook Air owners verify if theirs is working and see if it's a common issue, or just my Air that is affected.

Thanks,
Erwin
[doublepost=1545961535][/doublepost]Anyone?

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i also have a (new) MacBook Air 2018.
i have tried the Preview signature creation.
it works with no problem.
plain white paper; signature in blue gel ink; with image placed so that signature is on the signature placement line.
(you do need to click the Camera option, and not the Trackpad option - this is different from earlier MacBook Air)

ctwentytwo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
i also have a (new) MacBook Air 2018.
i have tried the Preview signature creation.
it works with no problem.
plain white paper; signature in blue gel ink; with image placed so that signature is on the signature placement line.
(you do need to click the Camera option, and not the Trackpad option - this is different from earlier MacBook Air)

Hmmm. Now I'm worried. Actually, the way to capture your signature is the same on the 2011 (High Sierra) as it is on my 2018 (Mojave).

Thanks for the reply though.
[doublepost=1545992838][/doublepost]After testing signature capture, noticed the camera did not adjust exposure like the my old MacBook air. So I tested the camera in FaceTime and QuickTime. Very Noisy, and seems low resolution.

Then I googled "2018 camera blurry" and found this:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8627217?page=1

Looks like I'm off to the Apple Store tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.