Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
I recently got a new 2018 MacBook Pro (15" with Touch Bar) and just noticed that there is an irremovable stain (circle like) in the middle of the screen that seems to be expanding. I think this is related to the screen anti-reflective coating or something like that that was an issue with the previous models as well. I am utterly disappointed and can't believe this has happened so fast (almost 3 weeks of use) on such an expensive machine made by Apple. I contacted Apple and they want me to bring it into an Apple Store so that they can verify what the problem is and if so replace the screen entirely, but I really hate having this machine go under repair so fast since they tend to be really careless and leaving the device with scratches or other issues afterwards (based on my past experience with them). I was wondering what my other options are at this point and has anyone else noticed the same problem or something similar with their new MacBook Pro?

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
You are the first. ;)
Upload hi-res photos so we can see the issue and if it's coating wearing off or happened for other reasons.
Maybe you used something to clean it?

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
You are the first. ;)
Upload hi-res photos so we can see the issue and if it's coating wearing off or happened for other reasons.
Maybe you used something to clean it?
I only used a cleaning cloth to clean the affected area once I noticed the stained region.
I managed to take some pictures if that helps.
https://imgur.com/a/3Gla4Gd
3Gla4Gd

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
The reflection is killing it, you will need to take better photos somehow, maybe with the flash turned on.
Quite strange to see the coating wearing off on these new models.

Vazza

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
It looks like something with chemicals was used to clean the screen (though I know you didn’t).

Last edited:

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Yea unfortunately it's really hard to take good photos of the screen. I took another one with flash turned on. Hopefully better than the previous ones :/

https://imgur.com/a/qd15yCp

Can't really see..
Anyway, the MBP is brand new, just take it back to Apple and ask nicely to exchange with a new one, they might do an exception considering you are just few days outside the return window.
No point to try and fix this yourself, you will end up damaging it further and it will cost a fortune to replace the display assembly.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Just return it. If they refuse to take it back. File a charge back request with your credit card company telling them the unit is defective and Apple won't take it back or exchange for a new one.

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
The 2018 model has so many other issues that I'm scared that even if they replace my MBP, the new one will have one of the other known problems like the Bridge OS crash or the speaker crackling issue :(

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
That would be nice, but do you have a source for this? Going through the BridgeOS issue myself and have not seen any evidence that it will be fixed “soon,” since the issue has been around since the iMac Pro release.

Check the BridgeOS thread and Speakers Crackling one, there seems to be a new T2 firmware update on the way, same as the one available on Mojave Beta 7 and should sort out the issues.
All these are definitely software problems.

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
Check the BridgeOS thread and Speakers Crackling one, there seems to be a new T2 firmware update on the way, same as the one available on Mojave Beta 7 and should sort out the issues.
Fair enough, hopefully that's the case. But I was just wondering, why is that some users aren't affected by these issues at all? For instance, I experienced neither the crackling noise nor the Bridge OS bug so far!

P.S. I have the 2.6 GHz i7 with 32GB of RAM if that helps

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
I think it depends from user to user usage and these issues occurs under certain circumstances. I did not experience neither myself and i use the i9 MBP.
I see the bridge os issue mostly occurs with external monitors connected, i don't use that at all so maybe that's the reason i didn't have it yet. As for the crackling sound, i remember reading it doesn't occur on Mojave betas.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

Time will tell I guess. There have already been a few firmware updates to the T2 chip firmware thus far, including the Supplemental Update for High Sierra and at least in a couple Mojave releases to date, none of them have resolved the issue.

The BridgeOS error appears to be a common one between the iMP and MBP which both use the T2 chip. There is nothing in the release notes for the Mojave Beta 7 that would indicate that it addresses the issue, and at least one user has reported that it does not fix the cracking issue.

CreeptoLooser reports in that thread "New Mojave doesn’t fix crackling. This doesnt include the fix. The new T2 firmware does improve volume response time. There is no more lag there.'

AdamA9 Reports:

"Another call from Apple.

They're saying it's definitely software based on everything they've received from other users with the same issues; sound echoing, distortion and crackling. But a fix is a long way off as they're still collating diagnostics from other 2018 MacBooks that have this problem to see what they have in common because it doesn't affect all units. Again, just going on what the engineering team are saying."

Which is almost word for word what I was told.

Not enough folks have reported back about the BridgeOS issue yet, so the jury is still out.

I am not saying that one or more of these issues isn't a software problem, most likely. Though if software, it is odd that every unit isn't affected and not all of them appear to be.

So definitely? Maybe. Very soon? Maybe not. iMac Pro was released December 2017 and the BridgeOS issue hasn't been fixed yet. I am getting frustrated with my MBP. :)

I see the bridge os issue mostly occurs with external monitors connected, i don't use that at all so maybe that's the reason i didn't have it yet. As for the crackling sound, i remember reading it doesn't occur on Mojave betas.

I do not know if the that is the most common cause or not. if you read through the 40 pages in the BridgeOS error thread, there doesn't appear to be a lot of rhyme or reason. That certainly hasn't been the cause of mine crashing. It has done it with devices attached and without devices attached and I don't even own an external monitor.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeanPSN

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP wrote:
"I was wondering what my other options are at this point and has anyone else noticed the same problem or something similar with their new MacBook Pro?"

You have three options, as I see it:
1. Live with the damaged screen.
2. Take it to an Apple Store and get it replaced.
3. Sell it and get something else.

If you don't return it for a screen replacement, it's not going to get better by itself.

One other thing:
If you get it replaced, DON'T try to "clean it" as you did before.
The retina screens are very fragile by nature and you don't want anything to contact it (to the extent that is possible).
"Cleaning" it can make the problem worse, depending on what you use!

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
Fair enough, hopefully that's the case. But I was just wondering, why is that some users aren't affected by these issues at all? For instance, I experienced neither the crackling noise nor the Bridge OS bug so far!

P.S. I have the 2.6 GHz i7 with 32GB of RAM if that helps
It would certainly seem from reading on MR that everybody and their mom is having these issues and that they are super widespread. On the contrary majority of users aren’t having these issues, or if they are they are being told they would be fixed.

Apple will fix the majority of these issues through a software fix, if you are unlucky enough to get one with one of the issues you listed. Just requires patience. Everyone said that the CPU issue couldn’t be fixed with and optimizing CPU software patch when I suggested, and guess what, it’s fixed now.

I personally would take your computer in and get a replacement, or get it fixed. I personally have had Genius Bar employees miss handle my computer before right in front of me, so I know that frustration, but you will be equally frustrated staring at the dot on your screen. Just be sure to check over your machine for any new scratches and bring them to managements attention if the Genius Bar mishandled/causes further damage to your machine.
[doublepost=1534867030][/doublepost]
One other thing:
If you get it replaced, DON'T try to "clean it" as you did before.
The retina screens are very fragile by nature and you don't want anything to contact it (to the extent that is possible).
"Cleaning" it can make the problem worse, depending on what you use!
I agree with this, if you need to “clean” your MacBook Pro’s screen, only use a microfiber cloth with a tiny amount of water sprayed on the cloth. Do NOT use any cleaner based sprays, as these have a higher risk of messing with the retina anti-reflective coating.

EDIT: Also wanted to add to not use any microfiber cloths that have been washed with detergent or dried with fabric softening sheets. They will have cleaner residues that could also damage the coating on the monitor

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
*Update*

After my visit to the Apple Store and contacting the online support, they decided to take this one and send me a brand new machine. I'm just hoping that the new one won't have this issue or any of the other known issues for that matter, fingers crossed:)

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Glad to hear they sorted it out without a repair ;-)
From now on clean the screen with a damp microfiber cloth only, no glass spray or other sh!ts.

kemen4

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
I recently got a new 2018 MacBook Pro (15" with Touch Bar) and just noticed that there is an irremovable stain (circle like) in the middle of the screen that seems to be expanding. I think this is related to the screen anti-reflective coating or something like that that was an issue with the previous models as well. I am utterly disappointed and can't believe this has happened so fast (almost 3 weeks of use) on such an expensive machine made by Apple. I contacted Apple and they want me to bring it into an Apple Store so that they can verify what the problem is and if so replace the screen entirely, but I really hate having this machine go under repair so fast since they tend to be really careless and leaving the device with scratches or other issues afterwards (based on my past experience with them). I was wondering what my other options are at this point and has anyone else noticed the same problem or something similar with their new MacBook Pro?

I guess I got the same new MacBook Pro 2018 13". Computer is 2 months old, however it started from very beginning Screen was clean 2x with microfiber and little water. Tought at first some small dirt doesnt want to come off, but there are getting more. It is like pixel size (touchable-hard) somethings on surface. There are more, smaller bigger ones, they are not dirt or from dirt. You can see them well just at high light, screen off, and look from the side. I will try to take photos at daylight.

spintronics

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2018
I guess I got the same new MacBook Pro 2018 13". Computer is 2 months old, however it started from very beginning Screen was clean 2x with microfiber and little water. Tought at first some small dirt doesnt want to come off, but there are getting more. It is like pixel size (touchable-hard) somethings on surface. There are more, smaller bigger ones, they are not dirt or from dirt. You can see them well just at high light, screen off, and look from the side. I will try to take photos at daylight.

I just noticed it on my screen. Next to the small dots everywhere I have areas where I can see the shape of the keys on the screen. Pretty annoying. (MBP 2018)

SalD

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2019
[doublepost=1559155433][/doublepost]Hi
I have only had my Mac book air for less than 4 weeks and I have the same problem.
I haven't even taken it out of the house and only used it twice! I'm so disappointed that it cost that much and I know have marks all over my screen.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I just brought mine in with a confirmation the coating is coming off. They are replacing the screen for me. Only thing that kills me is they need it for 3 days. I use mine for work and have a lot of projects going on. If I drop it off Friday, they said they should have it by Monday, so I can utilize my iPad in the meantime for the light work.

appleuser181

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2018
Canada
[doublepost=1559155433][/doublepost]Hi
I have only had my Mac book air for less than 4 weeks and I have the same problem.
I haven't even taken it out of the house and only used it twice! I'm so disappointed that it cost that much and I know have marks all over my screen.

Yes, that is indeed disappointing, try contacting apple and hopefully they will exchange your device. Or at the very least they will have to change your screen entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.