Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jake96

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2018
]So I’m thinking of replacing my trustworthy mid 2014 MacBook Pro with one of the new models but I’m struggling to figure out if it runs parallels smoothly or not. with 16gb or ram split in half so 7 or 8gb for parallels and the rest in mac os.

I am a Product design student and have to work a lot with 3d softwares like Rhino 3d, Solidworks(via bootcamp), fusion 360. Also rendering the products or scenarios in keyshot 7.
the sketching in sketchbook pro, Photoshop and Illustrator. and as have a lot of research over 45 tabs are open open all the time.

I ran Activity Monitor today while I was working to see if it made any difference and when running parallels it was consuming 14 to 15gb with lag in system, the 16GB I have currently and everything works fine, but i would like it to know if 2018 16gb ddr4 will work fine as being a student i can't directly get cause i don't earn and then need to use it for few years. also for some reason the 32gb isn't available in my country.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.