Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navigate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2019
Canada
Hi All,

I have been trying to figure out a solution/if anyone else is having this issue but have not been able to find any mention so far in any of the forums/google searches.

I am running Adobe Illustrator CS6 on a new 2018 Macbook Pro (specs below). When I add/modify text within a design, the machine freezes and will get the spinning ball about 90% of the time - essentially rendering the program unusable for anything that requires even the smallest type input. I've resorted to edit>find/replace for most work as a workaround but that's a band-aid solution I'm not exactly thrilled with this solution.

The problem does seem somewhat related to memory usage as it's a bit better when only running Illustrator and memory usage is lower. However - running the same program on my 2011 Macbook Pro w. a 2.2 duo core processor and 16GB Ram had no issues at all regardless of memory consumption/other programs running.

Trying to figure out if this is an issue w. CS6 not being compatible with Mojave - all other functions in Illustrator operate as expected w. no lag/delays so I think this type issue is a system problem? This is beyond the scope of my knowledge so I'm only speculating.

Has anyone else had these issues? Does this sound like a machine specific issue? Something w. CS6 compatibility? The only solutions I've been able to find are something like "offload/reduce your fonts" which I am not really interested in - I have a decent number of fonts but not anything crazy. I would like to keep them for graphic design work - also the fact that the older Macbook handled it fine makes me less inclined to accept this as a solution.

Any feedback/questions/ideas would be amazing - thanks in advance for your help!

Computer specs:
Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB​
Storage: 500GB (348GB available)

Cheers,
Brendan

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
First ensure your MacBook has been up and running for a couple of days to make sure indexing has completed. You should also see what you CPU activity with and without running Illustrator.

If the activity is normally low without Illustrator and high with, contact Adobe and ask them why the program is eating your system.

I have the same system and use Adobe Audition, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premier and do not see slowing unless I am rendering a video.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
You shouldn’t be running CS6 anyway. Compatibility aside, if you’re a pro there is no excuse (not even those bizarre opinions about cloud software or subscriptions we sometimes see) not to be using CC.

Beware that often when people say they are still using CS6 it makes them look like a warez user.

navigate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2019
Canada
Thanks jerryk

Will give this a shot.

First ensure your MacBook has been up and running for a couple of days to make sure indexing has completed. You should also see what you CPU activity with and without running Illustrator.

If the activity is normally low without Illustrator and high with, contact Adobe and ask them why the program is eating your system.

I have the same system and use Adobe Audition, Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premier and do not see slowing unless I am rendering a video.

RT
[doublepost=1554282935][/doublepost]Cool story - more concerned whether there's something wrong with the new computer than your thoughts on CS6/CC but thanks for your helpful comment

You shouldn’t be running CS6 anyway. Compatibility aside, if you’re a pro there is no excuse (not even those bizarre opinions about cloud software or subscriptions we sometimes see) not to be using CC.

Beware that often when people say they are still using CS6 it makes them look like a warez user.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Thanks jerryk

[doublepost=1554282935][/doublepost]Cool story - more concerned whether there's something wrong with the new computer than your thoughts on CS6/CC but thanks for your helpful comment

It's the software. Make sure there's nothing on your system recording your keyboard presses. Might explain the lag.

navigate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2019
Canada
Downloaded the Creative Cloud and in the process updated CS6 - both CC and CS6 are running with no issues now. Thanks all for their help

Reactions: jerryk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.