Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikkiAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Hi All..
I have a 2018 13" MBA - 1.6GHz i5, 16GB 550GB.

I use my MBA with two HP External monitors and the MBA open. No other devices are connected.

I perform, what I consider to be basic tasks, Microsoft Applications, Word, Excel, Safari for 99.9% of my browsing. I use other apps such as Quickbooks and Parallels. Both the Quickbooks and Parallels seem to make my machine's fan run a lot, so I try to close both of them down when not using.

My issue is that after a few minutes of use, my MBA gets so hot, the keys near the top of the keyboard are really warm, and the heat the blows from under the keyboard almost singes my fingers.

Is this normal?

I called Apple Support, explained my set up and issue and was told that nothing I am doing, or have connected (external monitors) should cause the machine to run so hot. I was directed to send some data to them (not sure exactly what data), and their engineers have not looked at the data yet. Although I was told to erase everything and reinstall a new operating system to check to see if the issue is software related.

I'm not exactly sure I what to do that without hearing back from Apple on what was in the data logs.

I'm about ready to trade my MBA for a MBP if for nothing more the more ports, and hopefully the fan heat isn't an issue any longer.

Has anyone have this issue with the fans and heat? If so, how was it resolved?

Thank you.

mick2

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2017
UK
Try installing TG Pro to get more info on temperatures & fan activity (https://www.tunabellysoftware.com/tgpro/)

Install the app, then post a screengrab here which will help people to diagnose your issue. If the temps are as hot as you suggest, that isn't normal and people will then be able to advise on what to do.

Reactions: NikkiAngel

NikkiAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Thanks, here's the screenshot
Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 1.44.58 PM.png

NikkiAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 18, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I'll test and post results....
[automerge]1589999210[/automerge]
Correction: Its fluctuating between 70-90ish when I am using it - 60C when it's idle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.