Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
I just bought the i7 2.6GHz, 512G version and noticed there is coil whine. It's pretty audible all the time and becomes loud when I use VM.
Anyone else having it?

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Really? I don't have any coil whine (and I'm posting this from a VM). I have the 2.2Ghz i7 though. That doesn't sound right. Interested to see if anyone else mentions having this issue. Sounds like a reason to exchange it if no one else has this issue.

Also, no puns were intentionally made in this post.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Have you called AppleCare about that issue? Could be something that exists, but is much more audible on some individual 2018s and much less (or not audible) on other examples.
So, AppleCare - or just return for refund, or swap it out. It's less than 14 days, so you don't even need to provide a reason for a return.

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Really? I don't have any coil whine (and I'm posting this from a VM). I have the 2.2Ghz i7 though. That doesn't sound right. Interested to see if anyone else mentions having this issue. Sounds like a reason to exchange it if no one else has this issue.

Also, no puns were intentionally made in this post.

Coil whine is definitely not Apply.
Found several others from reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbook/comments/8zrjqx/noticing_coil_whine_on_2018_macbook_pro_15/
[doublepost=1532089969][/doublepost]
Have you called AppleCare about that issue? Could be something that exists, but is much more audible on some individual 2018s and much less (or not audible) on other examples.
So, AppleCare - or just return for refund, or swap it out. It's less than 14 days, so you don't even need to provide a reason for a return.
I will probably go back for an exchange. So sad that I have to reinstall everything again!

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Too bad re: coil whine. Also, some people are more susceptible to it. So I just might not be too sensitive if it is occurring. I can definitely hear my SB2 at times (but it doesn't really bother me), so far the MacBook has been quiet -- at least to my ears. Hope your next machine is quiet!

Neogenz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Hello !

I have exactly the same noise ! MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch 2.2ghz !
When i open application or when i start my MacBook or when i accessing tu my folders from the Finder !
I made change the MacBook by the Apple store ! And... SAME NOISE ! so i called Apple Care online service and this noise is really not normal according to them ! So im on my way of the Apple store .. again !

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Got my exchange today, still has it. Now I wonder whether it's because I use an external monitor.

Neogenz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018
Got my exchange today, still has it. Now I wonder whether it's because I use an external monitor.
Hey ! This i made my second exchange, so it is my third MacBook Pro, and obviously, still have it to. May be it is normal ?

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Hey ! This i made my second exchange, so it is my third MacBook Pro, and obviously, still have it to. May be it is normal ?

Definitely not normal, but I am tired of reinstalling everything again and again. I am going to return it.
I guess something is wrong with the design or the assembly line, and hopefully Apple will fix it in the next month or two. And I'll buy again.

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Had horrible high pitch coil whine on the backlight inverter board on my old 2009 iMac (volume varied with brightness).

My new 2018 2.7Ghz 13" MBP is fortunately silent at all backlight brightness settings.

I'd take it back for a replacement as soon as you can.

Attachments

• 84F182EE-FED5-4884-A936-788C24262BF8.jpeg
    84F182EE-FED5-4884-A936-788C24262BF8.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 889
Reactions: seeforyourself

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
And... SAME NOISE ! so i called Apple Care online service and this noise is really not normal according to them !
Technically, coil whine is normal, as in it is an extremely common thing occurring in DC-to-DC voltage regulators. Whether Apple allows for it in their products I cannot say, but in my current gaming PC I have coil whine from both my CPU's voltage regulator and at least one of the GPU boards as well. Not sure about the power supply itself, I've had a PSU that whined also in the past.

I could complain about it, but as it's wasteful and time consuming to return stuff that functions properly just because of something cosmetic like this I haven't bothered. Also, if I get a board that whines in return then what did I actually gain? (Also, ripping out the mainboard of my PC is a 2+ hour job for me, so ugh plz - no thx lol)

Reactions: deadworlds

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Technically, coil whine is normal, as in it is an extremely common thing occurring in DC-to-DC voltage regulators. Whether Apple allows for it in their products I cannot say, but in my current gaming PC I have coil whine from both my CPU's voltage regulator and at least one of the GPU boards as well. Not sure about the power supply itself, I've had a PSU that whined also in the past.

I could complain about it, but as it's wasteful and time consuming to return stuff that functions properly just because of something cosmetic like this I haven't bothered. Also, if I get a board that whines in return then what did I actually gain? (Also, ripping out the mainboard of my PC is a 2+ hour job for me, so ugh plz - no thx lol)
You are right, it’s too time and energy consuming for an exchange.
I wouldn’t mind the noise of an old HDD or a fan, but the coil whine is just too annoying for me, especially at night. I just want to smash the keyboard or pour some water to make it stop.
[doublepost=1532220214][/doublepost]Just sat down with my 2nd swap, and the whine is louder than the first one.
The machine is on battery, I haven't installed anything yet, and this time it's not connected to an external monitor.
Definitely going to return this thing. Now the coil whine is not PC exclusive anymore, many thanks to Tim Cook from PC makers.

Reactions: d0nK

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
Hi guys, here is my update: I went back again for an exchange (3rd exchange and 4th machine). And this time before I could find out whether it has coil whine, during setting up, I found the lower right corner does not lay flat on my desk, then I tried kitchen countertop and floor, got the same result. So so sad but at least I didn't waste too much time this time.
Now I am typing on my 2016 MBP13, it's dead silent and doesn't wobble, hope I can get a good one tomorrow.

cfdlab

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
In 12 years I have never had this issue, always been very quiet. I would not tolerate this when I am paying so much money and would definitely demand an exchange.

Reactions: d0nK and Te0SX

Frieg

macrumors member
May 9, 2017
Even if all MBP's had severe coil whine you would get more replies with "mine ist fine!" than "I also have this problem with mine". That's because coil whine is in a frequency range most over 40 can't hear anymore and many that are way younger have damaged their ears with loud music in clubs, festivals an with in-ear headphones so much that they also can't hear those high frequencies anymore. so it's impossible to rule out how common this problem is by asking.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
Hi guys, here is my update: I went back again for an exchange (3rd exchange and 4th machine). And this time before I could find out whether it has coil whine, during setting up, I found the lower right corner does not lay flat on my desk, then I tried kitchen countertop and floor, got the same result. So so sad but at least I didn't waste too much time this time.
Now I am typing on my 2016 MBP13, it's dead silent and doesn't wobble, hope I can get a good one tomorrow.

One of my 2017 exchanges had the uneven problem. It’s odd how tha

Neogenz

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2018

So? Some news ? I made an exchange again today... same things... fourth MacBook Pro !

Oreotto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2016
So? Some news ? I made an exchange again today... same things... fourth MacBook Pro !
I got my 5th machine yesterday and I particularly went to their HQ store, thought it would be different, but nope it still has the whine.
I will keep swapping and start to video record the whine, maybe I should put it on youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.