Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkoriginal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
I recently got the 2018 Macbook Pro 15 2.6GHZ/32GB/500GB. I also have a HooToo dongle and I'm finding that the MBP is running when. The MBP is plugged into power, the Hootoo is plugged into the MBP and my phone is plugged into the dongle. This is with the lid closed and the MBP sleeping. My wifes's 2016 MBP 13 W/TB doesn't do this.

Should I take this back to Apple or is it nothing to be concerned about? I am still within my 14 day return period.

Thank you,

tkoriginal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
I actually put the laptop to sleep and then closed the lid and it was still hot. One thing I forgot to the mention was the dongle is also connected to an external 2K monitor. However I turn the monitor off as well. The Intel Power Gadget app says that that computer is idling at 60 deg. When opened it up.

Lastly, when I don't have the dongle connected, it runs cool. However on my wife's MBP it didn't matter.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
They’re talking about this “60° nap” in another thread I just visited. If you run intel power gadget upon wake is your CPU speed limited to 800MHz? Others are saying these two issues coincide and the CPU slowdown is only solved by turning it off and on again.

Edit: It’s being discussed on page 70 of the “Bridge OS Error” thread. On mobile or I’d link directly.

Reactions: DeanPSN

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Sounds like you have tracked the issues down to the dongle.

Does this dongle have any sort of lights? If so, it is drawing power from the MBP all the time and preventing a deep sleep. I had a USB one that had a light to show the company's name and it constantly drew power.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The OP wrote:
"Lastly, when I don't have the dongle connected, it runs cool."

I believe you have answered your own question.. ! ;)

tkoriginal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2018
@jerryk Yes! It does have light. Maybe thats why but its odd that it doesn't happen on the 2016 MPB 13"

@PBG4 Dude I put it back to sleep for about 30 mins. The CPU speed seems fine I think. It started at 1.5GHz and then went up from there.

@Fishrrman I get how to not get it to heat my Mac, but if the dongle is causing my mac to heat up during sleep...its probably causing more issues when awake (i.e. when I'm actively using my external display. My main concern was is it the dongle or the laptop because I don't see the same thing happening with my wife's mac.

PS - just wanted to say. Thank you for your responses!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.