Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
I've had my 2018 15" MacBook Pro since August. A few weeks ago, I've noticed some somewhat darker spots at about the middle of the display. It's particularly visible with bright colors, not so much with very dark ones. It's the most visible when displaying monochrome backgrounds (i.e. a white background with black text in a browser window, a pdf or document); when there are lots of different colors on these parts of the display then it's practically invisible (i.e. when watching a movie).

I've already been on the phone with Apple support and will likely bring the device into an Apple-authorized service provider near my city sometime next week or the week thereafter (don't live close to an Apple Store unfortunately); I expect the warranty to cover it. I just figured I might also create a thread here and ask if anyone has had similar issues, or has an idea what might be the cause of the issue?

I'm attaching a photo of these spots on a white background, it's the same picture in both files but in one I've circled the outline of the spot to make it clearer what I mean, since it's not that great to see on the photo (but still visible).

I've initially thought about backlight bleed but I don't think that's it since backlight bleed (to my knowledge) is usually the most visible on black colors, and less/not visible on brighter ones, whereas mine is the opposite. It reminds me a bit of how the flexgate-issue looks like; however the spot is not at the bottom of the display for me like it's usually with flexgate-affected displays. It's also nowhere near as strongly visible as with most flexgate example photos, but still a nuisance (and I feel like it has gotten a bit worse since I initially noticed it).

Attachments

• dark spot.jpeg
    dark spot.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,633
  • dark spot 2.jpeg
    dark spot 2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2,983

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
That looks/sounds very similar to my experience.
I wrote about about it a few days ago here.
My dark shadow was in roughly the same region of the screen. Perhaps a little more to the left.
They replaced my display (under warranty).

Last edited:
Reactions: afir93

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
That looks/sounds very similar to my experience.
I wrote about about it a few days ago here.
My dark shadow was in roughly the same region of the screen. Perhaps a little more to the left.
They replaced my display (under warranty).

It's been a little over three months since my display was replaced. The same thing is starting to happen again. It's been gradually getting worse. I made a genius bar reservation, took it in, and they confirmed it. There were no displays in stock, so they've ordered a new display, and will be replacing it at no cost [again] later this week.

davidrellis

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
It's been a little over three months since my display was replaced. The same thing is starting to happen again. It's been gradually getting worse. I made a genius bar reservation, took it in, and they confirmed it. There were no displays in stock, so they've ordered a new display, and will be replacing it at no cost [again] later this week.
I’ve just turned in my laptop to get it replaced a second time since December. I was told that because I use accessories on it (screen protector, cloth between keyboard and screen, and a keyboard protector) those might be the cause, which I think it’s ******** and that if the issue happens again then it’d be possible they won’t replace the screen again.

Did y’all have any accessories on your laptop when you started to notice the blue tint?

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
Did y’all have any accessories on your laptop when you started to notice the blue tint?

I don't use any screen and/or keyboard protectors.
I do use the tissue paper (that it came with new from the factory) when I close the lid. This because I've noticed that the clearance between the keyboard and the screen is so small that when the lid is closed, skin oils were being transferred from the keyboard key caps to the screen while the lid is closed. I hate a screen with smudges. So, I use the tissue paper to help prevent transfer while the lid is closed. When there are smudges on the screen, I use a moist micro fiber cloth to clean the screen.

I can just hear it now... Apple's gonna start telling users they have to use white gloves when typing on the keyboard, so skin oils don't transfer from your finger tips to the key caps, and subsequently to the screen when the lid is closed. Sorta reminiscent of the "Your holding it wrong" days.

afir93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2018
I’ve just turned in my laptop to get it replaced a second time since December. I was told that because I use accessories on it (screen protector, cloth between keyboard and screen, and a keyboard protector) those might be the cause, which I think it’s ******** and that if the issue happens again then it’d be possible they won’t replace the screen again.

Yeah I'm with you, I don't really see how these super-thin cloth protectors can cause clearly internal, unevenly lit areas of the screen.

I had such a blue-ish spot on my 2018 15" MBP around Christmas, never used a screen/keyboard protector cloth or anything like that before. Fortunately I got it replaced without issue.

patwithamac

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2018
This looks like a backlight problem to me. Not a problem with the actual screen surface material. It seems like the backlight develops an uneven, or inconsistent, non-uniform light temperature. Or the substrate that the backlight is on develops a ripple, so it's not completely flat. I wish I could get my hands on one of these displays and tear it down so I could see what's going on behind the LCD.

EDIT: Maybe there's something going on with the true tone feature. Have you noticed any difference with the true tone option turned off vs turned on?

Last edited:

magicalelectron

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
New Jersey
This looks like a backlight problem to me. Not a problem with the actual screen surface material. It seems like the backlight develops an uneven, or inconsistent, non-uniform light temperature. Or the substrate that the backlight is on develops a ripple, so it's not completely flat. I wish I could get my hands on one of these displays and tear it down so I could see what's going on behind the LCD.

EDIT: Maybe there's something going on with the true tone feature. Have you noticed any difference with the true tone option turned off vs turned on?
This must be irrelevant to True Tone. Similar phenomenon happens on older versions (2016, 2017) mbp too.

HelloJello

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
My 2018 MBP had blue/dark spot right in the center of the screen and Apple replaced the display under warranty in July 2019.
It happened again (and yes, it's gotten way worse), and they took it again to replace the screen (Jan 2020).
Apple Genius told me it's very unlikely that they will replace the whole computer since almost all parts of this computer is replaceable. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again!

daycircle

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2021
A blue stain appeared in the middle of the screen of my 2018 MacBook Pro one month after my warranty expired. I hope a reparation program will be launched soon because many people are experiencing the same problem, otherwise I don't think I will buy an Apple computer anymore.

eccavine

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2021
A blue stain appeared in the middle of the screen of my 2018 MacBook Pro one month after my warranty expired. I hope a reparation program will be launched soon because many people are experiencing the same problem, otherwise I don't think I will buy an Apple computer anymore.
same here I am wicked pissed ab mine. Second mb pro to have busted for me. hate them now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.