Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajcfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
India
Hi,

The TL;DR version: I work as a part-time IT Coordinator in a school, and I do some freelance work otherwise (all in web development in WordPress and related things). I need to get a new notebook computer and am unable to decide between the newer processor + 3rd gen butterfly keyboard in the new Retina MacBook Air, versus the slightly faster processor and MUCH better graphics processor on the entry-level 13" MacBook Pro (without Touchbar).

Please help!

Now, here's some background and further details:

We've had a Mac at home since 2011, and I'm quite comfortable with it. I've used the 2010 11" MBA, then moved onto a 2014 13" MBA (all at home), and have been using a 2018 13" MBA (with the 1.8 Ghz processor) since August 2017.

I've recently completed my assignment with the organisation that had provided me with the 2018 13" MBA, and am now left without a computer of my own (the older 2014 MBA is with the Wifey and can't get that back).

Considering how expensive the new rMBA and the MBPs are, I would love to go out and buy the older MBA, but it seems stupid to buy something that has a processor from 2015 in 2019. I'd like my computers to last at least five years, if not more.

In the past few months, I've tried using a pretty high-end Windows tablet from Dell (with an attached keyboard) - and Windows was just infuriating. I've then moved onto a couple of Chromebooks - which seem to get the job done mostly - except for my freelance work. Wordpress, with all plugins loaded for some of the websites I work on, just takes upto 3 minutes to do tasks that used to complete near-instantaneously on my MBA.

So here's my dilemma: I am super-hesitant to purchase any of the models with a butterfly keyboard older than gen 3, but I also am unwilling to buy something with lesser processing power. I will be able to make this purchase only in the last week of April, so I don't mind waiting a bit after that also - if required.

My use for the device is mostly:
- multiple web browsers every day: Safari, Chrome, Firefox (Safari and Chrome are used EVERY day; Firefox is probably once a week)
- Keynote (at least twice a week)
- iMovie (for short, 2-3 minute videos) (at least once a month)
- Mail (always open)
- Other smaller apps for testing / design / development (but these are basic things; nothing fancy / heavy-duty)

If you must know, during the week that I used the Windows 10 business laptop from Dell, it crashed fully once, and kept freezing and hanging a few times. The Chrombook that I was using after that, crashed twice within ten days. Basically, I have a pretty heavy web browser load.

Thoughts/suggestions, please?

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
As a PC user, I'm not going to convince you to get one, because you've already stated that's not your preferred option. What I will say is consider the screen size and whether or not you need to plug any peripherals in there, that will help you decide between MBP and MBA.

Then there's the keyboard dilemma. If you've only used older MBA's then go into an Apple store and try one of the new ones. You might like the new keyboards, you may not - opinion is divided on keyboards with such shallow key travel. Personal taste will absolutely come into it.

If you don't like the keyboard on the newer models, then you may be forced to buy an older MBA or MBP, although cost might force you down that route anyway. However if you do like them I would recommend looking at the refurb store to see if there is something that is available a bit cheaper than a new one.

ajcfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
India
As a PC user, I'm not going to convince you to get one, because you've already stated that's not your preferred option. What I will say is consider the screen size and whether or not you need to plug any peripherals in there, that will help you decide between MBP and MBA.

Then there's the keyboard dilemma. If you've only used older MBA's then go into an Apple store and try one of the new ones. You might like the new keyboards, you may not - opinion is divided on keyboards with such shallow key travel. Personal taste will absolutely come into it.

If you don't like the keyboard on the newer models, then you may be forced to buy an older MBA or MBP, although cost might force you down that route anyway. However if you do like them I would recommend looking at the refurb store to see if there is something that is available a bit cheaper than a new one.

Thank you for the reply.

Both the MBA and MBP (without TB) are 13" screens, and both have two USB C ports, and both have 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage.

I've used the first-gen retina MacBook's keyboard a bit, since my boss has that - it's always weird when I start typing on it, but it becomes progressively better; if I work on it for a few hours, it's like I don't know the difference.

The only reason I'm nitpicky of getting an older-than-gen3 version of the butterfly keyboard is because of the sticky keys issue, with crumbs/dirt/dust getting stuck underneath the keys. I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but the tropical climate I live in - dust is a real issue, even when we don't have fancy butterfly keyboards. :)

Anyway, I forgot to mention this in my original post: I'm also leaning towards the rMBA when thinking of its battery life. the two-hour difference would add up, if I'm using the laptop for 5 years (the MBP would last about 4 years and 60 days with the same usage + no. of cycles).

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
I'd look at a new one in that case. I'd go with more RAM (16GB) and a bigger SSD (at least 256GB) as these can't be upgraded and you are planning on keeping the machine at least 5 years.

ajcfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
India
I'd look at a new one in that case. I'd go with more RAM (16GB) and a bigger SSD (at least 256GB) as these can't be upgraded and you are planning on keeping the machine at least 5 years.

Apple doesn't officially sell the higher-RAM models in India. The 8 GB / 256 GB model is available, though.

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Apple doesn't officially sell the higher-RAM models in India. The 8 GB / 256 GB model is available, though.

Not entirely sure, but take a look at B&H and see if they will ship to you (shipping cost might be a little pricey if they do) but they stock a large variety of MacBooks (including older models that are still brand new) and eligible for AppleCare. The cost on shipping might be justified by the discount that the site offers on the computers alone.

From what it sounds like, you should be looking for a configuration with 16gb of RAM, and as another post mentioned, go for as much storage as you can reasonably afford. Typically, I would recommend 512gb of onboard storage for any kind of user (professional or consumer level)

ajcfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
India
Not entirely sure, but take a look at B&H and see if they will ship to you (shipping cost might be a little pricey if they do) but they stock a large variety of MacBooks (including older models that are still brand new) and eligible for AppleCare. The cost on shipping might be justified by the discount that the site offers on the computers alone.

From what it sounds like, you should be looking for a configuration with 16gb of RAM, and as another post mentioned, go for as much storage as you can reasonably afford. Typically, I would recommend 512gb of onboard storage for any kind of user (professional or consumer level)

Thank you for the advice - just checked B&H: They've clearly marked their computers as: "Shipping Restriction: No shipping to India"

And I've seen this on most electronics on Amazon US and other ecommerce websites abroad: tech isn't easy to ship to developing nations.

ajcfreak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2008
India
Note that the 13” nonTB MBP has lower specs than the TB in terms of processor, cores (dual vs quad), ports (2 vs 4). It’s why I chose to hold off last fall since I want the non-TB.

I know right! I really would LOVE to get the entry-level 13" Pro with TB, for the processor, extra ports, and the extra storage (at entry-level).

Too expensive, though.

I basically have the equivalent of $1400 to spend, including taxes; anything above that needs to be financed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.