Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
(Sorry this thread doesn't really have any direction!)
So. I took the plunge.
unknown.png

After years of owning a decently specced (to 2015 or so) "gaming" PC I've bought not only my first desktop Mac, but also the first brand new desktop Mac I've ever owned. Around almost 10 years or so ago a white iSight iMac G5 used to be my main computer and I loved that (very used and already obsolete by the time I got it) computer to death and it ended up on eBay around the time I built a budget gaming PC circa 2011 when I was 15. I know the 2019 iMac isn't the best of the best, but I can't help but feel excited?

Things I'm aware of tho - I'm aware I only picked 8GB of RAM, considering my options it was either 16GBs and deal with Fusion Drive speeds or this, and I feel like considering how used to solid state drives I am, that going with the former (in this point of time) would have been a bigger compromise, so I'm happy with my choice (for now!) I will definitely be upgrading the RAM at one point by paying a certified servicer to do it for me. my current PC has 8GBs in dual channel and that seems to be doing well enough for now.

Wait you own/owned a gaming PC, don't you game?: Honestly as an aspiring creative and digital artist and cartoonist using the IT equivalent of a mountain dew robot in a 1999 korn music video has slowly and surely dragged me down and I honestly hate working in the same space and computer that I use for play, which at least I did used to until the Switch came out and I haven't really touched a big mainstream PC game since 2017? so yeah, 99.99% of the time these days, I'm actually doing creative work and the price of 4K monitors for design make my eyes bleed especially when I'd have to give up the 1MS response times on my current one I use for my switch. eGPUs also exist.

Regardless, I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I'll be glad to be back.

evilmurries

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2019
Bay Area, CA
Wait you own/owned a gaming PC, don't you game?: Honestly as an aspiring creative and digital artist and cartoonist using the IT equivalent of a mountain dew robot in a 1999 korn music video has slowly and surely dragged me down and I honestly hate working in the same space and computer that I use for play, which at least I did used to until the Switch came out and I haven't really touched a big mainstream PC game since 2017?

Regardless, I'm sure I'll be happy with my purchase. I'll be glad to be back.

This was a large reason why I purchased a new iMac instead of upgrading my already quite good PC. Having a separate work and play space is a huge deal. Congratulations!

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
Good for you, and you have every reason to be excited b/c I’ll bet you’re going to love it. I, too bought a 21” recently but missed out on this latest update offering of 6-core processors. Nonetheless, I have a 4-core i7 in mine and it’s just a pure pleasure to use, handily taking everything I throw at it with ease and running smooth as silk. I hope you’ll update once you’ve received your new iMac and let us know how the 6-core fares in the 21”.

Reactions: argentdraws

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Good for you, and you have every reason to be excited b/c I’ll bet you’re going to love it. I, too bought a 21” recently but missed out on this latest update offering of 6-core processors. Nonetheless, I have a 4-core i7 in mine and it’s just a pure pleasure to use, handily taking everything I throw at it with ease and running smooth as silk. I hope you’ll update once you’ve received your new iMac and let us know how the 6-core fares in the 21”.
Keeping this thread updated with my first experiences with the machine is the plan actually! should have mentioned that in the op. :)

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
The 2019 27" iMac is also my first desktop mac and I'm very impressed. I've had only custom built gaming PCs and macbooks (2012 MBA, 2017 MBP) and realized none of my macbooks could handle external monitors very well. I have two 4k monitors connected to my iMac now and it's by far the smoothest computer I've ever used.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Don't buy or add RAM just yet. Just run it for a few weeks "as it is".
After that, you can investigate RAM sources and add more if you want.

The SSD was the right choice.
If you need "more room", just add an external drive, either SSD or HDD.

A good compromise between USB3 (cheap) and thunderbolt3 (fast) would be to buy a USB3.1 gen2 nvme enclosure, then add an nvme drive. This will give you roughly twice the speed of an off-the-shelf USB3 drive, for not much more $$$.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2017
It’s a shame RAM isn’t as easily upgradable on the 21”, as it is on the 27. But on the plus side, it, along with the hard drive is fully upgradable on the 21 should someone venture to “go in”. You definitely made a wise choice putting the $ toward the ssd over extra RAM if funds were a consideration (when aren’t they?).

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Don't buy or add RAM just yet. Just run it for a few weeks "as it is".
After that, you can investigate RAM sources and add more if you want.

The SSD was the right choice.
If you need "more room", just add an external drive, either SSD or HDD.

A good compromise between USB3 (cheap) and thunderbolt3 (fast) would be to buy a USB3.1 gen2 nvme enclosure, then add an nvme drive. This will give you roughly twice the speed of an off-the-shelf USB3 drive, for not much more $$$.
Yeah! Considering my PC is getting by just fine for my current workflow with 8GBs and most of my focus was on having a generally much faster machine, with a new platform (coming from 4th gen i5!) and a P3 4K display good enough for content production all in one package, it shouldn't really be a problem for me, and by the time it is I'm sure I can pay a service centre to get me up to 16 or 32GBs if it ever became much of a pain.

And I'm aware of the NVME enclosure thing! Watched a LTT video about it a while back and completely forgot about it, so thanks for reminding me! I was considering getting a 512GB USB C WD drive with my next student finance. (Parents helped me out with funding the iMac out of the blue!)
[doublepost=1555259678][/doublepost]
It’s a shame RAM isn’t as easily upgradable on the 21”, as it is on the 27. But on the plus side, it, along with the hard drive is fully upgradable on the 21 should someone venture to “go in”. You definitely made a wise choice putting the $ toward the ssd over extra RAM if funds were a consideration (when aren’t they?).
Until my parents decided to help me out with funding the new machine I was considering a refurbished 2017 machine with a spinning drive (yuck!) And tearing the thing apart and upgrading it myself but that seemed like a very poor choice and added expense and risk for such, even with the 2017 model, an expensive machine.
I'm sure when the time comes to bump up the RAM there'll be reputable service centres in Newcastle who I could pay to upgrade the machine for me. Also thanks for the tip! It might be worth considering a separate spinning internal storage drive to throw in there too, although for now I'm taking my 1TB project drive out of my gaming rig and putting it in a cheap and cheerful powered USB3 enclosure.

Reactions: orbital~debris

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Where is the fan or intake/exhaust located? I have been doing some stress testing to see if I should get another 16GB RAM kit or keep the 8GB for now but realized I have never heard the fan at all. It's completely silent even with 8 4k videos playing. That would make my 2017 13" MBP sound like a vacuum.

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Where is the fan or intake/exhaust located? I have been doing some stress testing to see if I should get another 16GB RAM kit or keep the 8GB for now but realized I have never heard the fan at all. It's completely silent even with 8 4k videos playing. That would make my 2017 13" MBP sound like a vacuum.
Haven't received my iMac yet! its still in processing/transit but I believe the small fan grills are underneath the stand on the lower back of the machine, which is where the RAM hatch is on the bigger 27" model :)

Reactions: zhu-

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
Haven't received my iMac yet! its still in processing/transit but I believe the small fan grills are underneath the stand on the lower back of the machine, which is where the RAM hatch is on the bigger 27" model :)

Oh I see it, thanks. I bought the one with the vesa mount so it was pretty hidden!

Dezlboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2008
Congrats! I bought same machine (except 16GB) replacing 2009 mini and old 19in monitor. What has really impressed me is the SPEED (programs pop up instantaneously, and web much faster) and SCREEN (far cry from 1280x 1024).

Old mini still hooked up and looking at that monitor, can't believe that at one point I considered a new mini and keeping same monitor.

Thanks to many on this forum....I made the right choice. :)
[doublepost=1555365828][/doublepost]
It’s a shame RAM isn’t as easily upgradable on the 21”, as it is on the 27.

Hope this isn't hijacking thread, as still discussing 21" model. What was Apple's reasoning on not making the RAM in 21" as easy as the 27" ? Did Apple assume the "average" consumer would opt for the 21" and view the 27" as simple more computer than they needed? And, the "average" consumer wouldn't be comfortable adding own memory?

Or that the "average" consumer wouldn't even know that about adding RAM after purchase, so figured they would make more money this way?

FWIW: If I could have, I would had ordered only 8GB RAM instead of the 16GB, if my 21" was user upgradable.

zhu-

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
I know the 5K display isn't exactly new, but wow it is noticeably crisper than my 4k displays and the color is amazing. I had originally planned on getting a Mac mini but glad I went with the iMac. Ten years ago this display alone would be $2k+ lol

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Update!
So sorry for the delay in keeping this thread updated, I had to give 110% of my time to a University project that involved a live exhibition at a gallery, let's just say that paid off in droves.

Anyway! The iMac arrived two weeks or so ago and I've been using it as my main machine since and I decided to give my desk a boost in the looks and accessibility department while I was at it:
249FE73D-42C7-4D65-90E6-7F7E0D047212.jpg
F87C650B-45C8-4449-8D5D-FDB0B45A3954.jpg

Without a doubt the decision to go with the iMac might have been one of my best in hindsight in quite some time, I forgot how much of a joy macOS was to use as a desktop OS and it really has upgraded my workflow for what I do.
Anyway as for other things on the desk that people may be curious about, I have a 27" 1080p 1ms BenQ console esports monitor on a gas elevated rotating arm, a Nintendo Switch and an Xbox One X right at the back with its exhaust fans pointing outward from the desk, I also have my Wacom Intuos Pro medium graphics tablet and Logitech G series keyboard and mouse tucked away in the little wooden stand the iMac is sitting on (Headphones I'm using at the moment are the Sony MDR-1A's and they're wonderful but I'd benefit from a DAC at some point ^^;). Also I kept the Magic Keyboard and went with Logitech MX 2S for my main mouse . Apart from some needed cable management I'm very happy with how my setup turned out, and I've been meaning to get back to this thread as soon as I wasn't too busy!

upload_2019-5-4_16-9-10.png

TLDR: This machine is a dream to use so far and the SSD size and 8GB of RAM haven't been too much of a problem for me yet :)

Reactions: CE3 and rxs0

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Congrats, glad your happy with it!

I was a bit worried getting a 2018 13" MBP with 8gb of RAM especially considering its not upgradable and I was used to an iMac with 32gb. Occasionally I do see some swap files used in activity monitor however I've never felt a hit to performance.

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Second update:
As of yesterday I made a small bootcamp install of Windows 10 to try out some games and...
I'm pleasantly surprised! I was expecting the Pro 560 to be pretty cruddy for games if I'm being honest even under Windows, but nope! games run about the same as they did on my old machine, so 60fps 1080p (medium-high) on all the games I've bothered to try, which includes:

Counter-Strike GO
Apex Legends
Overwatch
Devil May Cry 5

The caveat being that I'm using my external 1080p BenQ console esports monitor as the main display (using a USB C to DVI cable in this case), since games take a lot of issue with the iMac's internal display and scaling weirdness, but otherwise they all run great for what I want to play!

Reactions: Jota.garcia

Jota.garcia

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Update!
So sorry for the delay in keeping this thread updated, I had to give 110% of my time to a University project that involved a live exhibition at a gallery, let's just say that paid off in droves.

Anyway! The iMac arrived two weeks or so ago and I've been using it as my main machine since and I decided to give my desk a boost in the looks and accessibility department while I was at it:
View attachment 835204 View attachment 835205

Without a doubt the decision to go with the iMac might have been one of my best in hindsight in quite some time, I forgot how much of a joy macOS was to use as a desktop OS and it really has upgraded my workflow for what I do.
Anyway as for other things on the desk that people may be curious about, I have a 27" 1080p 1ms BenQ console esports monitor on a gas elevated rotating arm, a Nintendo Switch and an Xbox One X right at the back with its exhaust fans pointing outward from the desk, I also have my Wacom Intuos Pro medium graphics tablet and Logitech G series keyboard and mouse tucked away in the little wooden stand the iMac is sitting on (Headphones I'm using at the moment are the Sony MDR-1A's and they're wonderful but I'd benefit from a DAC at some point ^^;). Also I kept the Magic Keyboard and went with Logitech MX 2S for my main mouse . Apart from some needed cable management I'm very happy with how my setup turned out, and I've been meaning to get back to this thread as soon as I wasn't too busy!

View attachment 835206

TLDR: This machine is a dream to use so far and the SSD size and 8GB of RAM haven't been too much of a problem for me yet :)

Hi argentdraws, I hope you are still very happy with your new iMac.

I am thinking to buy the same iMac that you bought and I would like to use it for photography and video editing.

Have you ever tried it for any photography or video software ?. I am a little bit scared about the performance, I don't know if it is enough for my main purpose.

Thank you. I hope you can help me.

netdudeuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Update!

View attachment 835204 View attachment 835205

View attachment 835206

Looks like you like Simon Stålenhag (or similar) ...

argentdraws

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
Teesside, UK
Hi argentdraws, I hope you are still very happy with your new iMac.

I am thinking to buy the same iMac that you bought and I would like to use it for photography and video editing.

Have you ever tried it for any photography or video software ?. I am a little bit scared about the performance, I don't know if it is enough for my main purpose.

Thank you. I hope you can help me.
Hi there!
Haven't tried out video editing yet but it's in the pipeline. (Probably gonna try out Final cut in some way)
Although in regards to photo editing? this thing absolutely flies in Photoshop CC 2019 and it's been a productivity dream for me in the past few weeks, especially with getting everything ready for an exhibition I was a part of and I work with stupidly high resolution files (well, in regards to other students, but 4000x4000 at 300dpi is common for me) but even with the 8GB of RAM this thing has been unstoppable for me in ways I can't say the same about my old gaming rig at all, I've been incredibly impressed. I'd assume Lightroom or any other sort of photo editing app should be a breeze also.
But if you pull the trigger, GO for the 6-Core i5 and up and definitely go for the SSD option.
Bonus especially with photo editing and graphics work, the display and it's sharpness and colour reproduction is incredible and my work has never been as colour accurate as it is now, your eyes and attention span will thank you, the end result of your work will thank you, I have quite a nice current generation Dell business ultrabook with a nice 1080p as my secondary machine and the iMac's screen alone destroys and crushes it in every way, never mind performance.

Hope that helps!
[doublepost=1557545402][/doublepost]
Looks like you like Simon Stålenhag (or similar) ...
I have a few of his and works from similar artists on rotation for my changing wallpapers, my University class friend showed me his stuff a while ago and I've thrown a few things into a wallpaper folder I've been slowly filling that syncs with my Google Drive and automatically updates all of my machines with new wallpapers with minimal effort :p

Jota.garcia

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2019
Hi there!
Haven't tried out video editing yet but it's in the pipeline. (Probably gonna try out Final cut in some way)
Although in regards to photo editing? this thing absolutely flies in Photoshop CC 2019 and it's been a productivity dream for me in the past few weeks, especially with getting everything ready for an exhibition I was a part of and I work with stupidly high resolution files (well, in regards to other students, but 4000x4000 at 300dpi is common for me) but even with the 8GB of RAM this thing has been unstoppable for me in ways I can't say the same about my old gaming rig at all, I've been incredibly impressed. I'd assume Lightroom or any other sort of photo editing app should be a breeze also.
But if you pull the trigger, GO for the 6-Core i5 and up and definitely go for the SSD option.
Bonus especially with photo editing and graphics work, the display and it's sharpness and colour reproduction is incredible and my work has never been as colour accurate as it is now, your eyes and attention span will thank you, the end result of your work will thank you, I have quite a nice current generation Dell business ultrabook with a nice 1080p as my secondary machine and the iMac's screen alone destroys and crushes it in every way, never mind performance.

Hope that helps!
[doublepost=1557545402][/doublepost]
I have a few of his and works from similar artists on rotation for my changing wallpapers, my University class friend showed me his stuff a while ago and I've thrown a few things into a wallpaper folder I've been slowly filling that syncs with my Google Drive and automatically updates all of my machines with new wallpapers with minimal effort :p

Thank you!!!. I really appreciate your post !.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.