Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agala68

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
I have changed my plan, I finally bought a refurbished 2017 where I have to plane an E3 1270 Kaby Lake Xeon and, I hope to have understood correctly, 2x32Gb SODIMM 2666, even if aple reports imac 18.2 to support up to 32G (2x16) at 2400, but "t seems" that 64 are suported.
As soo as the CPU will be here, I will do the upgrade only once and let you know.
Thank you for reply

agala68

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
I have changed my plan, I finally bought a refurbished 2017 where I have to plane an E3 1270 Kaby Lake Xeon and, I hope to have understood correctly, 2x32Gb SODIMM 2666, even if aple reports imac 18.2 to support up to 32G (2x16) at 2400, but "t seems" that 64 are suported.
As soo as the CPU will be here, I will do the upgrade only once and let you know.
Thank you for reply
I forgot tha I also plan to change the actual 256G SSD NVRAM onboard, with a Samsung EVO, bigger (2T) faster and newer,all i he same upgrade task, so that I will use only one sticker kit.
For this last issue, I plan to testall before defintely closing the cover screen.

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I forgot tha I also plan to change the actual 256G SSD NVRAM onboard, with a Samsung EVO, bigger (2T) faster and newer,all i he same upgrade task, so that I will use only one sticker kit.
For this last issue, I plan to testall before defintely closing the cover screen.
Make sure you get the correct Samsung EVO NVMe SSD. There are reports that some of the 870s are not compatible with iMacs. Search the forums here for the culprit models.

Last edited:

agala68

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2021
I have red that, once used an adapter from cabook ssd port (12+16 pin) to nvme m.2, I shoukd also have to patch the firmware of the evo, I think I will keep the 256 inside and use an external TB3 enclosure to use the evo also on my company macbook.

Reactions: sheapuppy

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
I have red that, once used an adapter from cabook ssd port (12+16 pin) to nvme m.2, I shoukd also have to patch the firmware of the evo, I think I will keep the 256 inside and use an external TB3 enclosure to use the evo also on my company macbook.
That sounds like a safe bet. It's too easy to damage the LVDS connector on these iMacs. Many users also report that even though they took all the necessary precautions, they get the black screen of death after performing either the SSD, NVMe, or RAM upgrade. I'm including myself in this group :D

Sp3kt3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
Hi Guys, sorry to jump on this thread but I'm in the processing of upgrading drive,ram and cpu on my imac 4k 21.5 2019. I currently have 8GB with 1TB mechanical drive with the i3-8100 processor. I already teardown my Imac which was fun to do :)

I do have my new SSD & RAM but still looking for cpu upgrade and as much as other were able to upgrade, I keep reading some are not able to boot or pass apple logo which kind of push me away of upgrading the cpu but the i3-8100 is really weak.

I do have the option to get a i5-8500 but I can also get for a bit cheaper the i5-9500 (gen9) out of ebay (in good condition)

Do you think the i5-9500 would work or i'm better of getting the i5-8500.

Thx!

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Hi Guys, sorry to jump on this thread but I'm in the processing of upgrading drive,ram and cpu on my imac 4k 21.5 2019. I currently have 8GB with 1TB mechanical drive with the i3-8100 processor. I already teardown my Imac which was fun to do :)

I do have my new SSD & RAM but still looking for cpu upgrade and as much as other were able to upgrade, I keep reading some are not able to boot or pass apple logo which kind of push me away of upgrading the cpu but the i3-8100 is really weak.

I do have the option to get a i5-8500 but I can also get for a bit cheaper the i5-9500 (gen9) out of ebay (in good condition)

Do you think the i5-9500 would work or i'm better of getting the i5-8500.

Thx!
the Core i5 (8500) works fine and fully compatible.... why push your luck for a very marginal gain ?

Reactions: sheapuppy

Sp3kt3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
The only reason was because I can get it locally and a bit cheaper.
but I get your point, the difference betweem the 2 is marginal.

I was just curious about how come some peole having success by going up to a i9-9900 and some are saying it's not compatible with Intel g9th.

I fully understand that using something like 9700K is not recommended due to the heat it might produce versus the built-in heatsink from my iMac which is why I would be happy to stay in the Gen8th or like I mentioned using a gen 9th with similar spec of 8th gen (9500 vs 8500)

sheapuppy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2020
Chicago IL
The only reason was because I can get it locally and a bit cheaper.
but I get your point, the difference betweem the 2 is marginal.

I was just curious about how come some peole having success by going up to a i9-9900 and some are saying it's not compatible with Intel g9th.

I fully understand that using something like 9700K is not recommended due to the heat it might produce versus the built-in heatsink from my iMac which is why I would be happy to stay in the Gen8th or like I mentioned using a gen 9th with similar spec of 8th gen (9500 vs 8500)
I've read somewhere in the forums that while other CPUs may be compatible "in theory" because they're 8th or 9th generation with this iMac, Apple has code that only allows certain CPUs to boot up.

Sp3kt3r

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2023
I've read somewhere in the forums that while other CPUs may be compatible "in theory" because they're 8th or 9th generation with this iMac, Apple has code that only allows certain CPUs to boot up.
So it would be safer to upgrade to a configuration that is already compatible such as the i5-8500 and the i7-8700... I'll keep an eye on the 8500 which would meet my needs.. I'm only doing small music production so don't need something super beefy. I already put back everything together and everything is already faster with SSD + 16GB of ram this will be good for now until I can get my hand on cpu.

For now I taped the monitor so that I won't have to remove the screen glue lol

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Not to steal this thread, but has anyone done any CPU upgrades on 2017 models which have Kaby Lake CPUs? Is that model compatible with 8th or 9th gen Intel CPUs? Socket wise, they seem to be the same LGA1151, but not sure if Apple placed any software locks that would prevent jumping to a newer intel cpu generation.

for reference, this YouTuber, put 9th gen Intel i9-9900 into the base 2019 which comes with 8th gen Intel.

falconruo216

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2023
I have the same 2019 i3 base model, just wondering if the original 8GB 2400 can be upgraded to 16GB 2600 if using the original i3 CPU, or have to upgrade to i5/i7 in order to using faster speed DIMMs

mohammad.golche

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
My 2019 21-inch iMac (mrt42, a2116) with a Core i5-8500 processor sometimes experiences spikes in CPU temperature to 99 degrees Celsius even without intensive usage. After the fans run at maximum speed, the temperature drops to 70-80 degrees Celsius. The CPU temperature generally stays above 65 degrees Celsius. What could be the cause of this issue? Is it normal? Does an iMac need its CPU and GPU thermal paste replaced after a few years?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.