Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2011
I am getting disconnects to my external HDD enclosures when I tilt the screen on my iMac.

I am of the opinion that those Thunderbolt (USB C) cable connections on the iMac should not be so extremely sensitive to touch and subtle movement. I could lose data from these types of disconnects!

Has anyone found this to be an issue and what are some solutions.... other than getting a new computer

Oh, I should add that I plugged that cable in when I bought the computer and it has never been disconnected. So the port hasn't been abused.

Found this and I don't think there is enough room between the two Thunderbolt ports for these to sit side by side

OWCCLINGON1PK-pimid56921-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Change the cable you're using for a replacement.

Or... even change the existing cable "end-for-end".

Sometimes... this might be "all it takes"...

Reactions: Longplays

Johnny Jackhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 5, 2011
Turns out it's not just the iMac ports, it's the Thunderbay 4 ports and they are far worse.
Seems that cable connectors on high end products should be robust. Apple and others could fix this by standardizing the connector so that it recesses into the device like European electric outlets.

Back when there were SCSI connectors we had screws that held that SHI* together. We've given that up for this crap?

Last edited:
Reactions: uller6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.