Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi!

My trusty 2010 21.5” iMac died some months ago and I need to replace it.

I just ordered an Apple Watch Series 5 and an 11” iPad Pro to complete my setup but I am struggling to choose my new main computer.

I mainly do general stuff such as web browsing, iWork...but the most of the time I spend with my computer is for photography.

I have in mind the top 21.5” iMac with 16GB RAM and 256 SSD as I think it’s powerful enough and I will have the iPad Pro to work on the go and while travelling while I will get the big screen and power for the desktop.

But in the last couple of days I have started to think more and more about the base 15” MacBook Pro. They have more or less the same specs and the MBP feels a bit modern with things like True Tone or the T2 chip and the i7 processor.

I don’t care to much about video editing or stuff like that more than occasionally editing some short videos.

So, what do you recommend me? There is a price difference about 600€ but since I update my setup about 6 or 7 years, I don’t care to much about that.

Thank you.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
As photographer I have a fast desktop (I'm on a PC so there's no direct comparison), but my laptop is something very light and nowhere near as fast as I won't be doing massive edits when I'm out. The laptop needs to be as light as possible, but the desktop needs to be able to handle 42MP images and 4K content along with a couple of 4K monitors.

Ask yourself where do you do most of your work and be honest with yourself. If it's mostly at home with the occasional bit of travel then get an iMac for the bulk of your work - just may be wait until the end of the month to see what is announced, although the current high-end 27" is a good one. I would then use your iPad, or maybe get a cheap laptop (second hand is good) for on the move.

If you however do most of your edits on the move or at client sites then get the MBP and a good monitor for at home as 15" isn't that big for serious edits.

Either way I would wait until Apple announce new hardware which should be soon given the immenent release of the Mac Pro.

nph

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2005
I just got a new iMac 21.5 with 16Gig RAM, 512Gig SSD and 6 core i5. More than happy with it and having used a MBP in the past I would vote for the iMac unless you need it on the go. I complement mine with the 2017 12" Macbook for when I am on the go. For managing photos and in my case videos I prefer a desktop since I realized I never do editing while being on the move. Depends on your usage, if you want to edit on the go then pick MBP, if at home I would go for the iMac. I hope my next laptop a few years out will use the Axx processor and give me great battery life and speed in a portable. I got my 12" at closeout price 40% off brand new a few months back and I love it as a portable Mac to complement my iMac.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’m a hobby photography enthusiast, I use my iMac to host my library and for editing, upgrades my MBA before summer with the base 15” as MBA got sluggish with LT/PS.
My raw photos are on an external SSD, indexing on internal... when the iMac is eventually ready for replacement (hopefully 4+ years out) I will strongly consider going to MBP only, they are powerful enough and external components especially SSD are getting smaller... I’m ok with size/weight for mobility, at least for now

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You have the iPad Pro and you're replacing an iMac. Go with the iMac.

I do have an iPad yes, and am replacing an iMac, but that’s why I’m thinking if going MBP this time.

My iMac usage has changed whereas iMac doesn't get used, apart from me now, and it’s stuck out of the way.

I can’t just have an iPad at the moment, so still need a Mac, so reason thinking of MBP.

Also if go MBP and then miss big screen, as MBP is USB-C now it’s easy to connect to a monitor, it charges and displays and can use keyboard and mouse with it, so maybe best of both worlds?

Last edited:

Octopuss

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
You seem to be almost set on MBP, so just to not to feel sorry:
Also if go MBP and then miss big screen, as MBP is USB-C now it’s easy to connect to a monitor, it charges and displays and can use keyboard and mouse with it, so maybe best of both worlds?
that's what I was going to suggest.

You may try to imagine yourself getting iMac and think what you loose this way and if you can compensate it. Same about MBP: what you loose and how to compensate these losses.
11" iPad makes whole picture more complex, lol.

If you go with iMac you may remote to it on the go using your 11" iPad.
If you go with MBP you can use it with big monitor(s) as workstation.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2009
UK
You seem to be almost set on MBP, so just to not to feel sorry:
I’m not, just indecisive (I think...)

11" iPad makes whole picture more complex, lol.

If you go with iMac you may remote to it on the go using your 11" iPad.
If you go with MBP you can use it with big monitor(s) as workstation.
Not sure how remote from an iPad to an iMac is in use practicality though, can’t imagine ideal with the Mac being mouse input mainly.

Octopuss

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2017
I didn't suggest remoting as magic bullet, it's just an option to consider, which may or may not work for particular needs.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi.

Thank you very much for your help. This is the latest update.

I originally ordered the smaller 21.5 inch with the 3.00 GHz i5, 256 SSD and 16 GB RAM. I like the speed, the absolute zero noise, the Magic Keyboard and the Magic Mouse 2. I edit photos and watch lots of Netflix and HBO, play some indie games or games like Civilization IV. Everything looks fine.

But after seeing an 5K iMac I really miss the big screen now. So I am going to return this computer and order the 27" model. My initial idea was to get the same specs with the exception of the 512 SSD. The problem is that upgrading the SSD makes the difference between the i5 3.00 GHz (and 4GB 570X graphics card) and the i5 3.7 GHz (with an 8GB 580X) about 260€.

Do you think that it is worth the difference? I was more than happy with the specs of my current 21.5". I just miss more screen and storage. And I have to say that I really appreciate the zero noise and cool temperatures of my current model.

Thank you.

LarryKoopa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2017
Hi.

As I just bought the iPad, I decided to get the base 27" model, and save some money staying with the 256 GB SSD and upgrading RAM later.

I was perfectly happy with my 21.5 specs so it seems that I was just overthinking.

Thank you.

Reactions: MRrainer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.